P3D version 3 out this Wednesday ( 30th Sept )

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

P3D version 3 out this Wednesday ( 30th Sept )

Post by Paul K »

The when...

http://www.prepar3d.com/latest-news/

and the what...

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningC ... w_v30.html.

I am a tad excited, but not quite salivating just yet. That perennial fount of joy and bonhomie, John Venema at Orbx, has opined that this new release is more like v2.6 than a completely new iteration of the sim. I'll be standing way WAY back in the queue anyway, as my current energies are focused on DCS, and its imminent major update. I'll then consider whether to buy the new version of P3D.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: P3D version 3 out this Wednesday ( 30th Sept )

Post by DaveG »

Thanks for the HU Paul. :thumbsup:
Thought it would be released this week, Pete Dowson is on holiday. :lol:
I expect I'll get it pretty much straight away. Looking at the change log, we may be getting clickable VCs in FS9 models back again, and some of the other items look very interesting, like real-time reflections etc. :)
Dave G.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Hi Dave,

I'm sure Pete just says he's on holiday so that people on the forum make an attempt to sort things out amongst themselves. Not a bad idea either. FSUIPC is wonderful, but that poor man has created a rod for his own back. :lol:

Possibly clickable cockpits in FS9 models once again, eh ? That'd would be something of a selling point, no doubt. If you are going to get it, can you let us know about that ? :)

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Bear in mind the change in the licence agreement. They clearly state now that Academic means a student. I go along with Froogle on this and I cannot afford $200 for what to me appears to be a bug fix. They have lost me as a customer with this release I'm afraid.
Alex

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Vancouver wrote:Bear in mind the change in the licence agreement. They clearly state now that Academic means a student.
Fair enough. I'll dig out my Athena posters ( the Che Guevara one, and the tennis player scratching her bare arse ), listen to Curved Air LPs, eat pot noodles, Tesco Essentials lager, and stay in bed till midday. If that doesn't prove I'm a student, well I just don't know what does.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Copied from post #78 on this thread at Avsim: http://www.avsim.com/topic/475526-prepa ... ber/page-6:

For those wondering about VAS; (taken from the PMDG side of avsim)

"2) VAS VAS VAS VAS VAS:
Our testing internally leads us to conclude that Lockheed Martin's development team has succesfully updated Prepar3D so that it will unload data that is no longer needed in memory. More specifically, our testing seems to conclude that data accumulation in VAS related to scenery being seen or over-flown is no longer a factor for simmers using Prepar3D.

I want to stress that our testing was done in-house, and was not scientific- but we know very well how to replicate OOM issues with Prepar3D and FSX, and running those same tests with Prepar3D v3 yielded far lower VAS volumes than we have ever seen, even when moving between very intense scenery areas."

I had my first P3D OOM yesterday, after doing several orbits of the FTX Portland / Tacoma area, landing, and then trying to load JF's Canberra PR9. Have they have finally sorted out VAS use ?

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

There is technically no changes to the license and the academic has always applied to students. See below for the V2 and V3 License.

V2 License Details
http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2013/11/4648/

V3 License Details
http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overvie ... omparison/

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Paul I was with you until Tesco Essentials lager - there's got to be some standards! I'm adopting a wait and see approach, not because I'm abandoning my usual habit of jumping in with both feet you understand; it's only 'cos I ain't got time for simming let alone the hours needed for all the reinstalls.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Downloaded and installed, now to see what I can install in the way of addons.

Nev

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

:lol: :lol: Yes, sorry about that Chris. ;)

I empathise with the lack of time to do simming and the palaver of yet another full re-install. However, I think I'll go ahead and get v3 because it co-exists happily with v2.5 on the same computer. I'll de-register the PMDG NGX and transfer it across to v3, and leave it at that for now. I just have to wait for PMDG to release the new installers, which they say should be out very shortly. All the other add-ons can wait.

EDIT: Go to it, Nev, we're right behind you. ;)