Nostalgia?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Nostalgia?

Post by Airspeed »

ChrisHunt wrote:Mike are you taking your pills in the right order? You missed out 1812 by the way.
Hi Chris,
I thought of that, and decided it was a bit overture.

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Stones' throw from old Montrose Air Station (well, 4 miles anyway:-)

Post by gordon-in-aberdeen »

DaveG wrote:Quite like 2112 myself. :rock:
Ah now your talking Dave, partial to a bit of the ol' Canadian prog rock are you ;) :thumbsup:
TTFN, Gordon
"To err is human, but to ARR is most definitely Pirate... "

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

gordon-in-aberdeen wrote:
DaveG wrote:Quite like 2112 myself. :rock:
Ah now your talking Dave, partial to a bit of the ol' Canadian prog rock are you ;) :thumbsup:
Count me in on that, too!

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Moody Blues & Pink Floyd get a tick, but this 'progressive" sound requires too much effort on my part, to appreciate what they're actually doing.
The next gen son in law really goes for odd tempos and technical shifts. This granddad needs a melody and a beat to guide him through.
I won't be buying 2112, but thanks for enlightening me anyway; at least I have an opinion on it now. :)

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Airspeed wrote:Moody Blues & Pink Floyd get a tick, but this 'progressive" sound requires too much effort on my part, to appreciate what they're actually doing.
The next gen son in law really goes for odd tempos and technical shifts. This granddad needs a melody and a beat to guide him through.
I won't be buying 2112, but thanks for enlightening me anyway; at least I have an opinion on it now. :)
Mike, the 'progressive' refers to about 1974.
For something they did a little more recently try -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb1UaRu0JVA

Or possibly there greatest instrumental piece, combining Rock/Classical/Jazz try -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjglB04TOno

Sorry to be a pain - they're just my favourite band. 'Tis where the quote on my signature is from ;)

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Prog in general isn't my favourite, although I do like some. Pink Floyd & Porcupine Tree are my faves. :rock:
Dave G.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Tomliner wrote:Who remembers Whitehall 1212?
Also 83478 my late mum's Co-op divi number! I don't expect that this will mean anything to our younger readers! :) EricT

Don't know about remembering the divi number, but I remember well the sore ears I developed after forgetting it a few times when shopping.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Kevin Farnell wrote:
Airspeed wrote:Moody Blues & Pink Floyd get a tick, but this 'progressive" sound requires too much effort on my part, to appreciate what they're actually doing.
Mike, the 'progressive' refers to about 1974.
For something they did a little more recently try -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb1UaRu0JVA

Or possibly there greatest instrumental piece, combining Rock/Classical/Jazz try -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjglB04TOno

Sorry to be a pain - they're just my favourite band. 'Tis where the quote on my signature is from ;)

Kevin
Kevin :hello:
Yes, Mate, we've mentioned your signature in PMs. ;)
You're not a pain. :)
We all have our own tastes.
The first one didn't strike me as rocky at all.
The big one....reminded me of Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple, but a little less tuneful.
There was probably a lot of tech stuff that went over my head, as did the vocals, which the band and audience seemed to find amusing, but I couldn't understand a word, other than banana. :dunno:

Re Deep Purple: IF you haven't heard "Child in Time" :-O , give it a go, it has a lot to offer IMHO.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Purple, Zep and Sabbath were three of my favourite bands as a young teen.

Before I left the UK back in '92 I ran a College recording studio and also helped out a buddy who owned a 24 track pro studio. We used to have several prog rock bands who recorded there and I'm proud to say that I have my name on several commercially released (and moderately successful) CD covers. One of the bands are still going, touring and writing new stuff and the studio owner friend of mine actually became their drummer until his early death due to a rare form of cancer. The band actually took over his studio after his death and they still have it and record there. If you like prog rock they are well worth a listen as they are all very talented musicians and songwriters. Here is there website http://www.fc-music.com/ .
Larry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

They aren't bad, Larry! :agree: Thanks for highlighting them for us.
They are quite listenable; I hear hints of others' work, but I guess that's because of the style.
Unfortunately, they don't stand out from the crowd for me. Perhaps it's because I'm not as intense as I used to be.