Anyone Here Happen to See the Flying Scotsman

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Anyone Here Happen to See the Flying Scotsman

Post by airboatr »

Airspeed wrote: Remember, Joe, you are real, and we know where you live, so - BEHAVE YOURSELF!

Okaaaaay... 0:)

:lol:

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

The Flying Scotsman is the route, not the engine....
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

G'day, Colin,
I'm no expert on the matter, but here's a snippet which supports the persistent view that it's the Loco/train itself:

Facts About The Flying Scotsman Train

Facts About The Flying Scotsman TrainThe Flying Scotsman began life as No 1472, an A1 Pacific-class locomotive. The Pacific class had a 2-6-2 arrangement of wheels, which enabled it to carry a bigger boiler, making it suitable for long-distance passenger services. Under ownership of the London and North Eastern Railway Company (LNER) it was renumbered the 4472 and christened the Flying Scotsman.

:dunno: :dunno:

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Colin is absolutely correct, in that the route was originally named The Flying Scotsman .
However, in 1928 the first non-stop run between London and Edinburgh occurred, using a locomotive aptly named Flying Scotsman . This is the famous 4472 - previously 1472 and now marked as 60103, that we know today.

I'm no expert in railway history, so am happy to be corrected.
What I am happy to state though is what a magnificent piece of engineering this locomotive (along with many of her contemporary's) represents.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Aha! Further delving, and deliberately ignoring all references to "train", which still could not be avoided, as it also came up in this search, but the article starts with this, which clearly precedes the actual hardware:
The Flying Scotsman is an express passenger train service that has been running between Edinburgh and London—the capitals of Scotland and England respectively—since 1862.
There you have it... hats off to Colin. :agree:

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Oh Dear!...model a plane with 12,215 rivets when the original had 12,216 and you would likely be burned at the stake....but mention a locomotive and all sorts of tosh is produced as fact 8)

The train which was officially named "The Flying Scotsman" in 1924 actually began running in 1862, between London and Edinburgh. This route is known nowadays as the East Coast Main Line (ECML), although it is not the identical line.
The 1862 service soon acquired the nickname 'The Flying Scotsman'. After the Grouping in 1923, the new LNER built some powerful locomotives to haul its premier trains. One of these, A3 class 4472, rebuilt from 1472 (class A1), was named after the train it was built to haul, and the nickname of the train became an official brand. The locomotive "Flying Scotsman" was used where needed and was not reserved exclusively for the train after which it was named.

Read all about it here:
http://mikes.railhistory.railfan.net/r003.html

NB this Mike is not me, or the other one. :)

MikeW

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

All this train talk induced me to fire up Dovetail's TS2016 in Steam. ( fire...Steam...geddit ? ). I've had that sim since it was Railworks but never really got going with it, so last night I happily ran a few red lights and enjoyed the scenery. Time to explore it more and maybe buy one or two of those add-on routes I keep getting emails about.

Anyone else got TS2016 ?

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Well, there you go!
As I've said all along; "I'm confused, wait, maybe I'm not." :dunno:

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Paul K wrote:Anyone else got TS2016 ?
I've had it since it was TS2012 and got the yearly free updates which basically update the base game engine but do not normally add any additional content. This year I bought 2016 (basically buying the sim again) when it was in the Xmas sale as I really wanted the new route it contained (it was cheaper to buy the sim again rather than buying the route as an add-on). Over the years I have also added several add-on routes too.

It has some areas I could gripe about and I really wish they would add support for common USB controllers rather than just Xbox controllers as my Saitek throttle quadrant would be ideal as a train sim controller.

I find most of the scenarios enjoyable and they can be quite challenging especially if you have to run to a time-table although I do prefer freight runs over passenger runs. One nice thing is that you can download additional scenarios from the Steam Workshop. These are created by TS users for TS users and there are some excellent ones available (even better than the stock ones in many cases).
Larry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Being this is about the flying Scotsman... How's this for behaving...

An Englishman entered a bar and stood beside a Scotsman. After they had chatted for a while the Scot asked "Where are you from?" The Englishman replied "I'm from the finest country in the world." The Scot looked sceptical and replied "Are you? You have a damn funny accent for a Scotsman."

:)