The end for Earthsims scenery?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

The end for Earthsims scenery?

Post by DaveB »

As it happens.. no!!

I've been trying for a couple of days to get my ES Alderney installed with varying degrees of success. The ESI installer wouldn't install it and dragging a copy from an old pc gave me some but not all of the island and it's buildings. So.. I went hunting today and found a file by Tony Meredith.. one of the devs responsible for various visuals in ES scenery. While the file seems to aim more at the CD versions, I was able to pull enough out of it to give it a shot with one of my ESI Packs. The end result isn't perfect but it rarely was :lol: The buildings I know are missing now can be put right so no worries.

His suggestion that the latest ESI installer probably wouldn't work (v2.5) scared me a little because it's the only version I could find so in the absence of any earlier version.. I had to give it a go. What I did first was uninstall v2.5. Then.. I disconnected from the internet and ran the 2.5 setup/installer. It asked various questions (FSX path and scenery path) then I clicked on the buttons down the side of the page until all my ESI Packs displayed. I clicked on Alderney (Mark for install) then hit the install button in the top RH of the page. It was trying to contact Earthsims throughout but installed the scenery!! I left the Installer there but remained offline then checked the scenery in FSX. It is as you see above. I then closed down the sim.. uninstalled the ESI installer then reconnected to the internet :cpu:

I see no reason why it shouldn't install more areas in the same fashion should I wish and as long as I follow the same procedure above. If you have CD versions you wish to install and you have the latest ESI installer installed.. uninstall the latest version and install your CD version from the ESI installer on the disc. Make sure you are not connected to the internet while you're doing it as it will keep trying to connect and may ultimately fail. As soon as your install is complete.. uninstall the ESI installer once more then reconnect to the interweb :)

All is not lost.. as long as you have either the CD versions or were astute enough to make ESI Packs of all your existing sceneries ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Re: The end for Earthsims scenery?

Post by 233SQN »

Glad you got it going in the end!

Personally i loved the Earthsims products.... Treescape is an absolute "must have" if using VFR scenery, but oh that installer!! Did it have to be so complicated??

I snapped up Treescape for £5 from Flightstore and I'm so glad i did!!
Thanks

Colin Bear

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

I would like to get my Isle of Scilly scenery going again, I'll have to take a look at this.
Glad you got it sorted Dave.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Fellas. If I can offer any more practical advice.. I'm happy to do so.. if I have any that is :lol:

I eventually ended up adding the buildings fix that Tony Meredith supplied (I still had it) but as per.. the trees/bushes you see at the end of the runway (pointing toward France) without the fix applied, promptly disappeared. This was always the way with Earthsims stuff.

I'm not sure if I'll ever re-install Guernsey or the IoM.. both gave me pretty huge frame hits but knowing I can is the important thing ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

I've just had the same issues while re-installing FS...I bought the Treescapes disc as if I did backup my original ES purchases I've no idea where I've put them :lol:

It was all a bit of a battle, spent most of yesterday trying to grow trees. The disc installer told me that it was already installed and to use that *-) I ended up trawling through the registry to clean out old entries but after that the CD installer said it didn't want to play anyway. I got stuck in a loop of disconnecting to try and install and reconnecting to google for clues. (discovered that Flightstore may be able to help with remote installation but didn't like the sound of that...)

Eventually I found the ES installer online (Tony Meredith ? ) and that installed. The disc was having a hissy fit so I copied the .esi files from the disc to the ESI-pack folder that was created in C:\Earthsimulation and ran the lot from there....phew, got there eventually, even managed to install to non-default folders.

It's a good job I'm on medication :lol:

ATB,

Del
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals