FTX Australia

Specifically but not exclusively for VA pilots.. details of recommended addon scenery that cover VA destinations.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

JohnD
Victor
Victor

FTX Australia

Post by JohnD »

I've been doing some sim flying in Australia. I find the P3D V3 scenery OK but would like to improve it.

The Orbx - FTX: Australia SP4 Download looks quite good. I know it's not to photo standard but the screenshots looks quite good.
Does anyone have experience with this product and does the installation process cause any problems with other scenery.
If it is OK do I need anything else like mesh.

I have visited Australia in 'real life' for work and have been to Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne, very lucky all expenses paid!

Regards

John
I have the mind of an athlete, but the body of a spectator.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: FTX Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi John,
Yes, I have it, and I live here. I haven't done anything extra with mesh. I haven't seen it affect other scenery, but my flights outside Aus/NZ & UK are very limited.
The package gives a lot more detail at airports. I think that it added about 200 FTX aircraft to my hangar, and some are quite unusual or specific to a location. Possibly some of these came with the FTX library objects that I got from OzX. Too long back to remember the exact source.
I have further enhanced it with a bunch of freeware airports from OzX, and a handful of payware like Moorabbin and Avalon.
You are 100% about it not being photoreal. I have mentioned on this forum previously that the Melbourne docks area is very poor. I have done some work on a photoreal patch with some specific iconic buildings, but I have no water masking skills, and am unhappy with my attempts at blending into the ORBX surrounds. I haven't checked other capital cities against satellite photos, because generally, if I'm not flying local here, I'm poodling around the UK.
I was even unhappy with the payware Moorabbin, and made my own enhancement to show the air museum. That is available free at OzX.
If you want any specific screen shots, I'm happy to upload for you to see.
Cheers, Mike

JohnD
Victor
Victor

Re: FTX Australia

Post by JohnD »

Thanks Mike for your detailed answer.

I've bought it and installed it, no problems with that and it hasn't caused any problems with my UK scenery. First thoughts it looks good. Much better than the default, although anything is better than the default scenery.

I have installed some freeware airports and they have problems with taxiways not showing. I seem to remember there being a problem with some airports in P3D with some parts not showing. Will have to check that out.

Otherwise it seems as if it will be suitable and give me some more options for flying. Now for some AI traffic.

Thanks again

John

EDIT - Just modified Airports using ADE 1.6 and all taxiways are now showing.
I have the mind of an athlete, but the body of a spectator.