Some Pics

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Some Pics

Post by Tomliner »

A few pics taken at the the Scottish Transport Extravaganza this weekend in the grounds of Glamis Castle followed by a few taken recently at East Fortune.
There were plenty of exhibits despite the Scottish weather doing its very best to spoil things which was a shame for the organisers( the S.V.V.C) as it obviously reduced the number of visitors.
A friend of mine, Graeme, has restored a 1947 MG TC and a 1960 MGA and decided that he wanted to enter both cars so he asked if I would drive his MGA for him up from Edinburgh
Driving the MGA was quite an experience especially through the torrential downpours on the way back!
Sorry they're not great photos but I hope you like them. :) EricT
Graeme with his MG TC
The MGA which I drove
The stall selling Arbroath smokies was doing well despite, or maybe because of, the weather!
Pics from East Fortune
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Some Pics

Post by Dev One »

Nice photos & very lucky of you to be given charge of an MGA!
The Vauxhall Victor MkI - I am amazed that it has survived as they rusted out in less that a year normally. I wonder how much is original?
The Miles M18....one that seems to have fallen through the modelling net, its on my list though!
Keith

Looking at the Victor photo again - is it a MkI? It doesn't have the sharp crease in the rear door.
K

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the pics! :thumbsup:
My uncle had a Victor, whilst dad bought a Velox.
The Velox rear mudguard rusted through, and we drove it in that state for years "to advertise what a rotten job they did" according to dad.
I don't remember uncle's suffering the same fate, but maybe I'm not remembering well. I do recall the rego on ours: 621 RMV. No, unlike the old PJ 3728, it stood for nothing, but I've seen that many holiday snaps showing the number, that it's rusted onto my brain. :lol: :agree:

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Dev One wrote:
Looking at the Victor photo again - is it a MkI? It doesn't have the sharp crease in the rear door.
Yes, that's an FA series Victor, probably from about 1958 . I learned to drive on a 1957 one . It's hard to tell from the pic, but I think the rear door looks a bit odd because that chrome strip looks inauthentic. Also , the " Super" badge is not something I recall . And yes, they were terrible rusters - my Mother's had to have all new wings within 4 years, after which it was fine until I hit a tree with it :(

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Hi Eric,
Many thanjks for posting some superb pictures.
Ah.... Memories.

Graham Image
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I think the later version of the Victor was better with rust, my father had one, & I think the main difference was the crease in the rear doors & the front & rear bumpers. I'm trying to remember the year though, 1960(?). I had a '63 FB that I thought was OK on rust until one day I poked through the a channel member under the front wheelwell & under the underseal was nothing!!!
Keith

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Nice pics...I enjoyed them. A quick check in my logbooks reveal that I flew Super 1-11 G-AVMO ten times as First Officer... The flights were on German internals based at Templehof, Berlin in 1972/3

My logbooks also show that I flew Dove G-ANOV twice...The first time on my first attempt at Instrument Rating with Captain Joy for 1hour 30mins and I failed. The second flight in it was my third attempt at Instrument Rating with Captain Marlow for 2hours 05mins...This time I passed :agree: The flights were on July 20th and September 2nd 1964.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Thank you for that interesting information Peter. I wish I'd made the effort to take more photos at both locations, paricularly Glamis as it's only an annual event, although Graeme is dropping hints about taking both MGs to another event near Dunblane in September.
Regarding East Fortune ,if you look on their website you can find much better photos than mine, including the cockpit of the Dove. :) EricT
http://www.nms.ac.uk/flight?gclid=CPOyv ... GwodpHgGXw
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Thanks for that pointer Eric...Yes I managed to capture another picture of G-ANOV and one of the cockpit...My Instrument Rating was obtained with a lot of sweat in that cockpit. An instrument rating exam in those days was £50 and in 1964 that was a LOT of money...I could not afford to hire a twin for practice so my first attempt was doomed to failure and we all knew that. However, it was generally felt that the first attempt would at least familiarise one with the Dove, making the chances of a pass greater on the second attempt...Sadly, I failed again on the second attempt and had now spent all my money.

This was when I got a job as a "Shuttering Chippy" at £20 per week and managed to save another £50 to try again...This time I passed :welldone:

The first and third goes were both in G-ANOV flying from Stansted. The second was in another Dove G-ALVS with Captain Hale.

This just left 2 more tasks to complete in order to get my Airline Transport Pilot's Licence...A night cross country longer than X? miles and I did that solo in a Piper Cherokee G-ARSY from Biggin Hill to Stansted via Southend and Stansted to Biggin hill via Southend...I flew these solo flights on 26 September. Then a few days later I flew a Dove again as Second Pilot for my Night Flying Test which I passed. My ATPL arrived in the post about a week later.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

petermcleland wrote:Nice pics...I enjoyed them. A quick check in my logbooks reveal that I flew Super 1-11 G-AVMO ten times as First Officer... The flights were on German internals based at Templehof, Berlin in 1972/3
Shalom Peter!!!

Are you saying that British Airways Super 1-11 had flights within Germany from some German city to some German city?

Regards,

Aharon