A NEW Sidewinder Precision Pro????

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

A NEW Sidewinder Precision Pro????

Post by DaveB »

A few days ago, my foot caught the wire on my Sidewinder PP and it hit the deck (again) for the last time. Flashed FSX up and the default Cessna started with the throttle open and kept going left. Sh1te!! :wall: I've had a few Sidewinders over the years and when the one before this one started giving up, I worried about getting a replacement as they've been out of production for yonks. I found the (now broken) one advertised as secondhand and in good condition which I have to say, it was. At least 6 years on.. I felt the chances of being so lucky were slim. There are plenty for sale (all secondhand of course) from about £7.50 up but after a bit more digging, I found one advertised for £40 (yikes!!) and listed as 'unused, as far as the seller could tell'. :-O I was sceptical about spending £40 on what could end up being a piece of old tut but it turned up about an hour ago. I quickly opened the packaging to find the original box looking rather worse for wear. I've boxes in my loft which look as new. This one looked like it had come off a tip :lol:
Anywho.. the stick inside was in it's original plazzy bag (it looked like it had been opened and retaped).. the wire was still in the original cable-tie and un-furled as far as I could see and the stick itself looks and feels new. The switches are all sharp in operation and there's the exact amount of movement in the stick you'd expect on a new one. Plugged it in and hey presto. Works like a good'un :rock:

What I'm going to do when this one needs replacing, I've no idea. Probably better to retire from flightsim :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: A NEW Sidewinder Precision Pro????

Post by DaveG »

Nice result Dave. :thumbsup:
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Brilliant Dave, so now I guess you will be having plenty of hours of flying ahead of you.
What I'm going to do when this one needs replacing, I've no idea. Probably better to retire from flightsim :lol:
Bet you won't.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've used Sidewinders for so many years now (this one is my 5th if I include a Sidewinder FF v1 which I had to stop using as it wouldn't work with WinMe).. using anything else doesn't seem like an option. What I really need to do with this one is make sure the lead is out of the way of my size 9's :wall:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I am in the same situation, I have two FF2s with another as a spare.

I hope they still appear on EBay when these finally give up the ghost.
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

You mention FF2s George.. I noticed one on ebay when I bought the PP2. They weren't as prolific as PP's though.. not by a long way :-O Used to love my FFv1 although I rarely used the FF in flightsim. Preferred it with the power off. Now then.. MechWarrior was another matter :rock:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I usually fly helicopters so use them with the power disconnected.
George

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I see the new Thrustmaster is about to be launched. https://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/prod ... -fcs-hotas
Looking forward to the reviews and pricing on this as my x-52 is about to bite the bullet I think.
:cpu:
Alex

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Very nice but I fly with the joystick on my lap. Can't imagine doing that with 2 controllers :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage