Scan Guard offered free until 4 November

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Re: Scan Guard offered free until 4 November

Post by Jon.M »

I hope it works for you. I've had to do this twice whilst reinstalling windows 7 on two computers. The problem had me stuck for some time partly because a search on Microsoft Support for the updater first takes you to the bad one. :doh: I suppose it's had more downloads. Obviously installing that one has no effect. You'd have thought that that download would have been removed.

I did read that the bad updater gets stuck when it is faced with more than 80 updates at the same time. I don't know if this is true but it sounds plausible. That would account for why the problem doesn't affect everyone but appears either when you're reinstalling Windows or like you haven't done an update for a long time. :dunno:

I also found other sites where you could download the updater but personally I wouldn't trust them.

Jon

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Jon, spent most of the day trying to download from the link you gave me but no luck. Will wait until Thursday when I am on the new connection (that is not metered) then try again. Will let you know.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Hi Nigel,

I'm not sure what's going on here. I've just downloaded both updates. The first link is to download the updater client by itself, it's 9.3 Mb and arrived almost instantly. The second is only 18.2 Mb and arrived in whatever 2 x almost instantly is. ;)

I confess that I hadn't tried the second link before but I've just tried it now and see that it's different as it launches immediately and starts searching for updates automatically. That might be the problem. Did you use the second link? I apologise if that's causing problems.

If so try the first link and install that manually. But first;

I see you're saying elsewhere that you're having other problems downloading stuff. I did find that when I had the bad update client running in the background and not finding anything it slowed everything down especially on my laptop which only has a dual core processor. The update client was using 50% of my processor.

The update manager can be stopped by opening the manager and you'll see if it's searching for updates by the pulsing download bar. If so click on Settings on the left of the window and then select 'Never check for Updates' in the drop down menu next to the shield. The shield will then turn red.

Then click OK and restart your computer. You should then find that Update is no longer running and you can install the new one from the first link. Here it is again: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

Scroll down to the find the download for your version of Windows 7 SP1, either x86 or x64. I assume you don't have the server version. You may have to restart and change the settings back to check for updates.

I really hope that this sorts things out.

Jon

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Jon :hello:

Many thanks, will stop the updater now as it is still not finding anything and do as you have written. Watch this thread!! :worried: :lol: :lol:

Regards
Nigel

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Oh boy have I got problems. :wall:

Jon did as you instructed but still not updating so went in for the trouble shooter and as soon as I clicked on it, it came up with:

An error occurred while troubleshooting:
A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting

in View error details:

Pacgae ID WindowsUpdateDiagnostics
Path: Unknown
Error Code: 0x80070002
Source: Engine
User: Well, that's me!
Context: Elevated

Looks like a visit to Martin at his computer shop in Lincoln but cannot get in til next week.

Regards
Nigel.

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Sorry to read this.

It does seem to be worse than just the update client. I hope you get it sorted out soon, and apologise if I've made things worse.

Jon

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Today:

George

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I hope you get it sorted out soon, and apologise if I've made things worse.

Hi Jon, nothing to do with you at all so no need to apologise, actually thinking that a complete re-install might be the option especially now George has punched in 2 important updates!! :-O :lol: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Well it was things like the update problem on my work laptop and a list of glitches on my home desktop (it crashed frequently) that caused me to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch on both computers. As both computers are running well now I'm happy I did it, even though it was a couple of weeks of work in all. The laptop only took a couple of days, the desktop took longer as I first reinstalled the 32bit OS then discovered that it would run the 64bit OS which meant that I could increase the RAM from 4Gb to 8. So I started again.

Both computers are 8 years old and over the years have had so many changes of software including an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 that I think that a lot of errors had accumulated in the software.
Obviously I spent some time making sure everything was backed up to an external hard disk and that I had all the necessary registration codes to reinstall the other software. Especially important with my work stuff.

I thought I would be buying two new computers but at least for the moment it's not necessary. :)

The reason for sticking with the now old computers was to avoid possible conflicts between Windows 10 and most of my other software.
I'm still carefully adding stuff to my fresh install of FSX.

Best of luck.
Jon

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Sorry, meant to reply to you Jon, since George gave the HU on the updates I went down the re-install route and now everything is up and running though still installing FSX as and when I can be bothered, yet to put in REX and other add-ons over the next week or two.

Regards
Nigel.