The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Re: Scan Guard offered free until 4 November

Post by Jon.M »

Hi Nigel,

I'm glad that you got the reinstall done and that your computer is running better.

I'm also still working FSX. Like the operating system over the years it had many aircraft and scenery changes mostly freeware, this time I'm going for a cleaner more organised but more expensive install. I've installed ORBX Global, Vector and EU landclass as well as their freeware EU airports and the Asiago airport in the Dolomites.
I've started on the aircraft now. But I'm not in a hurry to install everything at once.

Jon

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Jon, good luck with yours install, I still have a number of add-ons left to do plus assigning keys and switches through Fsuipc. One thing I am not going to install is FTX Central 3 as it completely messed up FSX and put all Orbx areas at the top of the Library. Even when I got that sorted it took 5-6 minutes to load a flight and even though I put in a couple of please for help in their Forum I came away empty handed. I know this means future purchases of Orbx cannot be done without FTX Central 3 but until they resolve all problems associated with it then I will stay as I am using FTX Central 2.

Be interesting if you are able to run it without any problems.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I am now experiencing similar problems, regarding Windows update. Windows (Win 7 64bit Pro), is detecting that updates are available, but when I select 'Install Updates', it just sits there showing '0 KB total, 0 % complete'. I've tried all of the suggestions mentioned here (except a re-install - that's the last thing I want to do), as well as many from the internet, with no success.

I'm willing to try for a while longer, before taking drastic action. If this is down to Microsoft, they sure know how to make enemies :rant:

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Kevin :hello:
IIRC, i had same problems when I replaced drives in my computer, and had to reinstall W7 from the software that came with the computer.
Then I had to catch up 4 years of updates.
I've tried to find my queries and responses on it via this forum, so far no luck. I think that I finished up leaving the computer on all night, and it finally found and fixed everything.
If I find out more, I'll let you know.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Kevin and Mike, sorry to hear that you are having the same problems as me and I only went for a clean re-install as a last resort.

When I went to see Martin at the computer shop I use he did tell me that he has had to leave some computers updating for 2 days :-O I would honestly try this first, just leave your computer looking for updates for a minimum of 2 days, I know it is a sod but in the end it is far better trying this than doing a complete restoration of windows. You should be able to still use your computer whilst this is in progress.

Do let me know if it works.

Regards
Nigel.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Mike, Nigel

thanks for your suggestions. I had left Windows Update running for several hours yesterday, without success. I got fed up and shut the computer down, noting the little symbol indicating that updates were available was showing.
When I started the PC this morning, I looked in 'View Update History' and found that it had downloaded the Malicious Software Removal Tool, prior to the PC shutting down. The other updates however were listed as 'Failed or cancelled'. Again, I left Windows Update running for several hours and it still indicated 0% downloaded.
A further search of the internet, came up with a simple suggestion. In the Windows Update Change Settings section change 'Important Updates' from 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them' to 'Install updates Automatically (recommended)'. It was also suggested to change the time from the default 3.00 am to 4.00 am. As the time was actually 16.58. I set it to 17.00 and clicked OK.
A couple of minutes later, I could hear the hard drive whirring away and the processor light on the front of the PC was lit almost continually. About 5 mins later I got a message to restart the computer to install updates.
I did this and again checking in 'View Update History', I found that the 'Monthly Quality Roll Up fro Windows 7' Had been installed. Updates for Office were still showing as failed or cancelled. I then clicked on 'Check for Updates' and those for Office were found and installed.
Why changing to automatic updates has fixed this, I have no idea (I had set it to 'Let Me Choose', to stop Microsoft sneaking Win10 onto my PC) but it worked for me and hopefully will be of help to others.

Kevin

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Kevin, very pleased to hear that you managed to sort it out, now you can breath again!! :lol: :lol:

Between you and me I think MS are doing this deliberately so that we get fed up of waiting and upgrade to Win10. :hide: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Nigel H-J wrote:Between you and me I think MS are doing this deliberately so that we get fed up of waiting and upgrade to Win10. :hide: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
Cheers Nigel.

A very similar thought had crossed my mind too.

Kevin

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dj3000au

Post by dj3000au »

Probably chiming in here a little too late but better late than never :)

If you Google for "scanguard reviews" pretty much all results tell you it is a scam except for one (probably an affiliate). I wouldn't buy it simply because it is not an accredited US based business (no BBB.org accreditation) as indicated here: http://www.fastpclife.com/scanguard-review/

Good to hear it was avoided and you have fixed up your PC!

Cheers