RTW leg6...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

RTW leg6...

Post by petermcleland »

...Bali to Changi, Singapore:-

Taking off from Bali...

...and climbing to 10,000 feet.

Conditions are sort of misty in places.

The island on the right is still Bali and the next island in the chain is Jakarta...Showing on the GPS

Still climbing past Bali passing 6,750 feet.

Seems to be some high ground ahead, sticking out of the mist.

Crossing the narrow sea between the islands the one on my left is really Java with Jakarta away at the other end of it.

Here is that high ground passing to my left.

This is a bit of a contrast...I don't know what the town is but it could be Surabaya.

Out over the ocean now for a long crossing.

Here is the GPS map with Java on my left, Sumatra, the fatter island ahead left and the small island ahead on track is Billiton. We are settled in the "Fast Cruise" with 33 inches of boost and 2400RPM.

We also have some tailwind and our groundspeed is 192 knots.

The land on my left is Bangka.

105 nms to go now to Changi...If you look at the bottom of that little "Engines" panel, you will see that I have switched back to the Main Tanks, having run the Aux Tanks down to 10% each.

If you look at the GPS map you will see that I have been vectored off to the right for an ILS approach to runway 20 Centre.

The less said the better on my ILS approach...I never really got established and got very disorientated! In the end I paused the sim, had a good look round outside and established where the airport was and the did a visual approach and landing on 20 Right (which is really reserved for military)

Anyway, the landing was OK and nobody said anything about wrong runway and here is my C47 looking a bit dejected later as the light begins to fail.

Thanks for looking and next stop is Bangkok :)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: RTW leg6...

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Peter, brilliant screen shots as always :thumbsup: Really enjoying your flights, what nav programme are you using for FSX for your flight planning? Only asking as you wrote:
This is a bit of a contrast...I don't know what the town is but it could be Surabaya.
I use LittleNav but you also require LittleNav Connect to connect to FSX and can get them from Avsim, don't have the link to hand but the bonus is that you can work off-line with the pre-installed maps that come with it, the maps also show the names of towns so you always know which town or city you are close to or passing.

Looking forward to your Bankok hop.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Nigel, I use a big old-fashioned and heavy Times Atlas of the World to plan my routes. Then with just start and finish airfields I use the Flight Planner in P3D. I specify IFR and I accept the altitude given. I save them and load them into my GPS and I make sure I have full fuel. I use the autopilot to lock to the GPS track. I keep the Atlas open on my bed in the next room and go and check on things as required. I have OpusFSI server running to keep the weather up to date :)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Nigel, I use a big old-fashioned and heavy Times Atlas of the World to plan my routes.
Wow, now that is what I call navigating! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Brilliant Peter!

Very much enjoying your flight. Hope you had fun in Bali
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.