RTW Leg9...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

RTW Leg9...

Post by petermcleland »

Calcutta to Islamabad:-

It was just as gloomy as I departed Calcutta as when I arrived!

And you can see here the top of the inversion that keeps it gloomy.

And also in this shot...It will be as bad at my destination as they have 2.5 nms vis at the moment. I hope the ILS is working!

Breaking up a bit now.

And we have less than 1000nms to go as I settle into the "Fast Cruise"at 14000 feet.

There is an airstrip passing underneath but I have no idea what it is called.

Here is the GPS map showing the Himalayas but nothing can be seen of them outside...

...as you can see here.

Here is quite a big city and it might be Patna.

Here is a good shot of the gloom!!

With 700 nms to go, you can see that our track ahead eases closer to the mountains and I'm hoping we get a glimpse of them.

Oh yes, just a few miles on and they are visible.

I must snatch...

...a few shots...

...while the going...

...is good!

Ant this one is pretty nice.

And even one from the inside.

We are going to cross over the low foothills soon and it could be a bit turbulent.

Another from outside but they are not quite so dramatic now.

Well, 500 nms to go now so about halfway...I am watching the fuel moving towards 50% so I'll do my usual tank switching at that point and work out our range.

I'm watching it...we are down to 52% now...You can see the bottom line of the first panel on the "Strip"...It gives the current fuel% (52) and weight of the aircraft (21,199 lbs)...BTW look at that little beam of sunlight on the instrument panel...You can watch it gradually move in later shots :agree:

Just another pretty picture from outside...

...and from inside...You can see in this one that I have switched the feed back to the Mains and the the fuel is down to 49%...I did the sums as follows...Fuel @ 50% with 390nms to go...Total distance for this leg is 1045nms... so 1045-390=655nms done on half the fuel so we would be empty at 655 times 2=1310nms...Would be a bit further than that because of descending and lower power settings than on the climb.

We are flying over some hills now...

...and the Flightplanner took these into account when it gave us our 14000 feet cruise altitude.

That hill ahead is probably the highest we will fly over...In the top left corner on the "Strip" panel...Second down marked "Alt" you will see two Altitudes. the first is pressure altitude from our altimeter (13,999) and the second is our radar altitude (9,535) above the ground beneath us.

Another pretty picture.

Here we are passing over that peak that was ahead of us and it is 3795 feet below us.

Well I was too busy to take pictures, trying to sort out an ILS joining procedure down in the murk...I cocked it up the first time and was rescued by radar control turning me back for another go...I then made another bit of a horlicks of it after I had switched to Tower...Had to sort out this last join without help. I was really to slow, too far out but it was a very good steady ILS on beam and glideslope all the way through the murk with the runway appearing dead ahead...Sorry about no pictures but here I am parked at Islamabad...Next stop Tehran.

All the pics look better clicked up in size...and then you can read the gauges that I talk about :agree:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: RTW Leg9...

Post by blanston12 »

Nice Peter! Always enjoy these adventures.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Thanks Joe...Glad you enjoy them...I put quite a lot of work into them...It is more fiddly in Windows 10 as I can't get the "My Network Places" to function properly as it does in Windows XP...This means I have to use the Blue Host software to put my pictures up and they have to go in one by one, instead of being dragged and dropped as a group in Windows XP...It is a real PITA 8)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

That was an extremely interesting leg Peter and the pictures were brilliant. You must have been flying with real world weather I take it. Also, be interested in what flight planner you use as you mentioned when flying over some hills the flight planner took these into account giving you a cruise altitude of 14,000ft.

I guess it will be a few days rest and sightseeing before your next leg.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Nigel H-J wrote:That was an extremely interesting leg Peter and the pictures were brilliant. You must have been flying with real world weather I take it. Also, be interested in what flight planner you use as you mentioned when flying over some hills the flight planner took these into account giving you a cruise altitude of 14,000ft.

I guess it will be a few days rest and sightseeing before your next leg.
Yes Nigel, I'll take a few days off before I start the next leg...The Flightplanner I use is just the normal P3D v3 one that is included in the Menu...It has given me a 20,000 feet cruise in the next leg and I modified that to 16,000 feet in the hope that I can dodge round any mountains that get in the way...I'll just have to see if that works: they may well insist that I climb. I'm not sure if I can get my C47 up to 20,000 feet!

I fly all the legs with real weather as provided by OpusFSI.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks for the information Peter, incidentally I use Little Nav which is a free flight planner and to me a very good one and will have to do a flight plan over some hills / mountains and see what altitude it gives though think very much that it would be down to me to do that.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

petermcleland wrote:Yes Nigel, I'll take a few days off before I start the next leg...The Flightplanner I use is just the normal P3D v3 one that is included in the Menu...It has given me a 20,000 feet cruise in the next leg and I modified that to 16,000 feet in the hope that I can dodge round any mountains that get in the way...I'll just have to see if that works: they may well insist that I climb. I'm not sure if I can get my C47 up to 20,000 feet!

I fly all the legs with real weather as provided by OpusFSI.
I forgot how I did it but once I was doing a flight using P3D in Peru going south along the Andes and the flight planner wanted me to go up to an altitude that was above what I though the AC could do, certainly above what the pax in my unpressurised aircraft could handle, I was able to drag the flight path using the mouse so I went along the coast at a better altitude.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

That's very interesting Joe...I remember doing something similar in FS9...I'll look into it. I was expecting to manually turn off the track in order to go around the odd peak and then turn back and join the track after clearing the hazard.

RJP
Comet
Comet

Post by RJP »

Maybe someone at Breitling has been watching your trip Peter?

http://www.breitling.com/en/news/detail ... globe-4463

Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

That's interesting...I expect I will have finished before he starts :lol: Not much similarity in our routes...I start much further South at Milford Sound and because of that I go much further North on the oposite side of the globe at Thule AB in Greenland. My route does not actually touch the UK or any state of the USA except Alaska. I expect our routes will be of similar length though...Mine is 24,567 nms. and is planned for 30 stops.