Mum? Mom?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Mum? Mom?

Post by Dev One »

I was born of Surrey born parents, but lived for my first 5 years in the midlands - Sywell, Burnaston & Pelsall, before then living back in the home counties - Surrey/Hampshire/Berks corner mainly. I have always used Mum, Gran, Grandma & Nan, but was commented by my parents when I used a short 'a' prononciation, for example in 'castle', which is a typical north of Watford sound.
I do not remember using or hearing Bostin, but agree with Dave Moly in the use of 'bustin'!
Keith

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Mum? Mom? ... what about Mam (short for Mama)? This is what we Geordies used.
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

You've lived in Pelsall too Keith :-O What a small world :)

Kevin.. I remember (and know) the places you mentioned.. especially the fishmonger in the arcade!! I've not been down there for years but always associate the arcade with an overwhelming smell of wet fish :lol:

Larry.. Doors (does) :lol: They're called do-ers (do as in do.. ers as in wers) here :lol: My better half is from the Potteries (Hanley) and while her accent is fairly neutral.. her parents (especially her dad) had a broad Potteries twang. Up tut top tut road!! :lol: Her dad worked at 'The Mich' for a good many years and enjoyed free tyres for life :agree:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Dave B, Sorry, not Pelsall, got mistaken for Pendford where my father worked, mending Maggies & Tigers - actually lived in Probert Rd, in Oxley - put it down to old age please!
Keith

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I did think it a little odd. Knowing it's a 'silver' moment explains everything :thumbsup: I had one such moment only last week. The other half's car had to go and be checked for a warranty job (Chevrolet) and try as I might.. I couldn't find the nominated dealer. It was as if they'd disappeared :-O I found an alternate dealer (noting that Chevrolet don't sell cars here anymore but their ex-dealerships still handle warranties and service) so off we went to plead our case. It's only when I was sat in the dealers car park that the penny dropped. I'd been searching for Chrysler NOT Chevrolet!! Glad I didn't go inside and start playing my face :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

When in the RAF in the early 70s' one of the drivers' spoke with a strong northern accent and always used thee and thy when speaking, think he was from North of Newcastle. Funny though as I used to frequent the North of England regularly when driving HGVs' and never once came across anyone else who spoke using those words. Those words must have died out now.
I'd been searching for Chrysler NOT Chevrolet!! Glad I didn't go inside and start playing my face :lol:
:lol: :lol: One word that came across my mind when I read that Dave...........Specsavers! :hide:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Specsavers has nothing to do with it mate. I know the car is a Chevrolet.. I chose it for her :lol: To enhance my confusion.. Chrysler no longer sell new cars in the UK either!! I thought the webpage had changed a little bit but couldn't understand why I couldn't find the particular garage I was after (Brindley in Wolverhampton). It would have helped had I remembered what the garage name was. I didn't note it because I presumed I'd be able to find it again. Sitting outside the Chrysler dealer and realising the faux pas.. I put Chevrolet dealers into my trusty Windows phone and Brindley popped up.. the name I recognised straight away :lol:

Blimey.. I'll be getting a dash cam next :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

DaveB wrote:My better half is from the Potteries (Hanley) and while her accent is fairly neutral.. her parents (especially her dad) had a broad Potteries twang. Up tut top tut road!! :lol: Her dad worked at 'The Mich' for a good many years and enjoyed free tyres for life :agree:
Ahh, so your better half can kick a bow agen a woe an yed it 'til it's bosted can she! :lol:

My late brother worked at 'The Mich' for a few years too after he served his 'prenticeship as a sparky down t'pit.
Larry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave, sorry mate could not have read your post properly, think it's me that needs to go to Specsavers, Funnily enough I got a letter from them today telling me that it is four years ago since I Last went for an eye test :worried: Thing is I don't have problems with long range vision I can still read a number plate well over the prescribed distance, it is reading a book or on the computer where I need glasses and the last time I went I had left it for four years and they said I needed a new pair. After getting them there was only a slight difference between my old glasses and the new ones' so I was really peeved off as although there was a very slight reduction in my seeing small print the old glasses are really no different to the new ones'. :rant:

Right then Dave, about your new Dash Cam you're getting! :wasntme: :lol: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had 3 letters from the opticians telling me I'm out of date. Think they've given up now :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage