If filthy weather isn't enough

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: If filthy weather isn't enough

Post by Dev One »

The stick is the bit that normally rotates on the front of an engine (or the rear if a pusher).This saying dates way, way back when wooded props were used... But then you knew that didn't you!
Keith

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Dev One wrote:The stick is the bit that normally rotates on the front of an engine (or the rear if a pusher).This saying dates way, way back when wooded props were used... But then you knew that didn't you!
Keith
Erm...No :stupid:

Thanks for clearing up something I've long puzzled about. So in this case, wouldn't it be a 'missing stick landing'?

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Kevin Farnell wrote: Thanks for clearing up something I've long puzzled about. So in this case, wouldn't it be a 'missing stick landing'?

Kevin
Quite possible but a lot rarer than a 'dead' one - Could ask Harry Lauder about one of his? 8) :wasntme:
Keith

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Dev One wrote:The stick is the bit that normally rotates on the front of an engine (or the rear if a pusher).This saying dates way, way back when wooded props were used... But then you knew that didn't you!
Keith
Learn something new everyday!
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Just a thought re missing stick.....has anyone asked Joe Cusick's dog? :dunno:

....and the missing prop... did it spin in ever-decreasing circles, and disappear up it's own bum, like the joke bird in the 1950s?

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

Airspeed wrote:and the missing prop... did it spin in ever-decreasing circles, and disappear up it's own bum
No, Mike,it's turned up, or should I say, dropped in. :doh: Probably not. Quite near some homes. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

My main point about the journalist Chris, was that towards the end of his article about an aeroplane landing with one engine, he announces that it's possible. No s#1t, Sherlock!

Paul
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for the HU on that Paul. At the time I posted, there was no news. I see that article is timestamped nearly 5pm.
The included comment by one of the pilots seems to differ from the result referred to above, where the prop. accelerates ahead of the engine, then drops below the aircraft:
The Saab 340 aircraft's first officer saw the propeller break away, and rotate upwards and to the right before moving in a horizontal direction.

Yes, sheer luck that it hit bushland, could have been really bad.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I seem to remember that Brian Trubshaw, when piloting a small aircraft, or as a passenger, lost a prop that was never found. Or did I dream it?

:poke:

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I'm always worried more about where a part goes when it vacates its assigned formation position on the aircraft. Thankfully over the years, when big props or engines depart, it always seems to be over either the middle of nowhere or over water (Reeve Aleutian's L188, Kalitta's 747 (twice), AAL's on the runway, etc).

One of our based aircraft in Dallas had an emergency slide deploy inflight (twice!) and end up in the back yard of someone in Arlington the first time and in the back yard of a Mesa, AZ home the second (https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=186046 - watch the video, it's of the exact slide location on the exact airplane in an earlier C-Check). Those things are heavy, but thankfully since it was partially inflated due to the way it was ripped off the plane and it didn't do any damage and the heaviest part (the gas generator) stayed with the aircraft (which punched some holes in the skin as it flapped on the side of the plane, but nothing too major).

I'm still not sure how the first time didn't make headlines. Needless to say, there was some very serious ramifications for the company that did the maintenance on the airplane that involved replacing those slides. It's a complicated system which uses wires to toggle the latches, and if they're not done properly - that happens. :(