Not a motorcycle quiz

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Not a motorcycle quiz

Post by paulsl »

Hello,

I scanned some old photos of Mother's and came across this one. Is anyone able to identify the machine? This isn't a proper quiz because I don't know the answer. The tank looks a bit Jowett-like but I can't find a truly similar example on Google.

It would also be a big help if you could identify the rider! :lol:

Actually I *think* he's my father and that puts the picture firmly in the 1920's. Then again I'm not sure so it's pretty naff clue 8)

Thanks, Paul
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Re: Not a motorcycle quiz

Post by Rick Piper »

Looks like an excelsior or a brough to me.
Great pic

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

That reminds me...I have a photo of a motorcycle of a similar age that I also cannot identify the machine...will dig it out and post it later. Not an authority on old motorcycles but hopefully someone on here will be able to identify yours. ;) ....and mine if I can find it! :)

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Very interesting picture, still searching around but the first part of the registration TN shows that it was registered in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

This is my photo.... maybe harder to identify the machine due to the sidecar but apparently this photo was taken in Southampton in the early 20's...it has my Grandfather on his bike with my Grandmother in the sidecar and my Great Grandmother holding my late Auntie Betty (incidentally my Great Grandfather (James Colston Hill was a bedroom steward and went down on the Titanic in 1912)

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

Nigel H-J wrote:Very interesting picture, still searching around but the first part of the registration TN shows that it was registered in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Thanks Nigel. That fits very well with the Father theory - he was brought up in Jarrow.

The only motorcyclist in the family that we know about was my Uncle Billy who came to grief on it and damaged his head. Luck to live he was badly affected mentally, given to extremely violent outbursts. Sadly my 93 yr old Mum has lost all awareness of time and can't remember when he had the accident. We know though that he lived all his life in Stockton-on-Tees at the southern end of Co. Durham. I guess they'd have a different rego??

Thanks for trying with this.

Paul
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, glad to have been of some help however, maybe if you put in a question on this forum they may be able to point you in the right direction to find out or even be able to tell you the answer to your question.

http://www.classicbikeforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=31

Let us know either way.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.