The Eclipse Across North America

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

The Eclipse Across North America

Post by airboatr »

Hi.
I remember reading about the eclipse about 20 years ago and the Big day is finally here.
Anyone in the States going to be in the path of totality?
I wanted so badly to travel up to South Carolina or Tennessee to be directly under the path, but with my open wound from the spider bite I need to be in a controlled area when changing the dressing .. it's healing nicely, no infection and ... Well, I like having two legs so I'm taking the ounce of prevention method.
Besides that . The transmission in my van has been showing signs of trouble
Getting to a area of clear skies, sitting in traffic jams.
Bah ..I saw enough on the news to change my mind.. stores running out of water gas stations running out of gas.. 8)

Yeah.. I'm staying home and enjoy clear skies and 81% eclipse. There will be enough coverage of the sun to darken the sky equivalent to dusk hours. The temperature should drop some too. That'll be a cool experience.. :wasntme:

Joe

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: The Eclipse Across North America

Post by FlyTexas »

I'll be travelling as far as my front yard to view the eclipse. :lol: At work we've been seeing flights booked full to cities that are in the totality range. I've built my 'Super Duper Deluxe FlyTexas 2017 Eclipse Viewer' made from a sheet of printer paper and a birthday card sent to me from management at the office. (I was careful not to punch the hole through any of their signatures) :worried: Not a cloud in the sky so it should be a good show at 13:09 local time. :thumbsup:

Brian

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

I'm a little North of the path across Oregon so we'll get about 90%. I'm not doing anything special as I'm sure it will be broadcast across the networks and played over, and over, and over again. If anything I might fire up FSX at about 10:30 am out of curiosity to see what happens in the sim from my location.

--WH

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Well that sounds interesting... Let us know if you see the effect

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

We tried. We were members of a group that had rented camp sites in central Oregon, a pasture really and we were to leave Friday but fate has intervened. First Friday morning my wife's mom who lives with us got sick and we had to take her to the emergency room. By the next afternoon she was better and insisting that we go on our trip so we loaded up the van and were off, but 30 miles up the freeway a car in front of us slammed on its brakes because of some garbage in the road and we could not stop in time. Nobody hurt and not too much damage but our front bumper was now rubbing against the front tire when we turned. We found a service center and four hours later it was save to drive but at that point we figured the universe was trying to tell us we should not go on this trip so we headed home.

Now at home we hope to see at least the partial eclipse but right now we are clouded over.

The fates don't want us to see it I think.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Joe,
That's terrible news. But glad you are all safe..

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Glad your family is ok, Joe. That stinks about your eclipse plans. :(

Brian

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

Much safer to watch it over the television.

No effects in FSX, BTW.

--WH

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Thanks WH

I've just watched the 2min + eclipse broadcast from a location in Oregon on the TV... :( 20 years.... and I'm not going to see totality with mine eyes.. :'(

BTW fellas.. Garry Russell was brought to mind.. there are a group of Latvians in the U.S. to witness the eclipse..
Now what are the chances that the commentators would mention the group from Latvia but identified all the others as
People from all around the world... and a group from Latvia. :S
Isn't that just - :) prodigious.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I tried p3d and no eclipse there either
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.