Not been my day!!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Not been my day!!

Post by Nigel H-J »

Yesterday I defragged my hard drive using an updated version of Auslogic Disk Defrag, a freeware version that does the job much quicker than the Win 10 version but...........in the version I was using it also had a tab ' Speed Boost' so curiosity got the better of me (you all know what happened to the cat) :-O and thought that it may be a trial version (both by the same company) so installed it .............ran it...........showed me what needed doing to increase the speed of my PC so innocently pressed the Resolve All Button (I think it said that) and hey presto.....................only if you pay for it!!!

That was a big no-no so uninstalled it, then during the uninstall it said do you want to undo changes............said yes (just in case there was some unbeknown changes made) and then promptly took me to system restore.............now just hold it a minute, I do not want to restore my system!! So ticked the another box to continue the uninstall..........all gone or so I thought then, on the desktop it re-appeared but this time with a warning from MalWareBytes that it had quarantine a malware..........uninstalled the b*gger again but hey presto.........like an unwanted acne spot it came back (had used CCLeaner by the way)........Uninstalled it again.......it came back again :wall: .........by this time I was, to say the least, beginning to get a bit fed up with it, rather like trying to swat a gnat that persistently flies around goading you, so went to System Restore...........Now I'll fix you for once and for all but..........Oh No!!! :doh: ..........System Restore does not now want to get involved with my problems almost by saying 'Hard luck pal........ you did it, now you sort it' :poke: By now my feelings of frustration moved to near maniacal insanity!! :rant:

With my computer now operating a lot worse than before there can only be one solution..........(No......throwing it out of the window is not an option) :worried: so a format and full install of Win 10 is now taking place.

The Malaware warning could well have been a false/positive but MalawareBytes dealt with it however, just do not know why system restore could not do what it says it can do :dunno:

The worst thing is that now I have to install FSX, COD, and my X-Plane 11. Not to mention all my software and now will have to reassign all controls back into FSUIPC, forgot to back up my ini settings 8)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Not been my day!!

Post by Paul K »

At least it was nice weather for the bank holiday, Nigel, so it wasn't all bad eh ? :hide:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Nige,
I use "System Mechanic Pro"
Yes, it is payware, and does not perform magic, but it does make all the Windows options for boost, clean etc etc much more user-friendly. It also gives access to Windows functions that are apparently normally hidden. (Maybe MS put them there for gurus?)
Used it for years, and every so often, they offer time extensions at half price. I'm currently paid up to 2022.
Good luck. ;)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

At least it was nice weather for the bank holiday, Nigel, so it wasn't all bad eh ? :hide:
Paul!!! :poke: I never got outside to enjoy the weather as there was a low depression inside!! :lol:

Have now fully installed Win10 and updated to version 1803 but to be honest, I bl**dy hate the way Microsoft have gone, I am finding that anything and everything I download and install, Win 10 is there to make it a complete friggin' ordeal......Blocked this Blocked that :rant: never before did this happen before the update and when I installed Open Office it would not allow me to make a shortcut to my desktop saying: Windows could not create the shortcut. Check to see if the disk is full I have at 939 Gb free for gods' sake so now have pinned it to the task bar.

When I get some spare cash I am going to buy payware protection rather than put up with this messing about, never happened until I got this update!!

Sorry......rant over!! :OT:

Regards
Nigel.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Remember chaps, whilst these packages claim to speed up your system by doing this, that and the other, they are usually sitting in the background using system resources themselves.

I don't bother with them and haven't defragged a hard drive since I owned Windows Millennium.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel H-J wrote:
08 May 2018, 14:38
Paul!!! :poke: I never got outside to enjoy the weather as there was a low depression inside!! :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I do sympathise, Nigel. We've all had days like it, and no doubt will continue to do so.

grumpyoldb
Viscount
Viscount

Post by grumpyoldb »

I have every sympathy. A month ago I upgraded an old PC and treated it to a motherboard bundle which came with the CPU ready installed.
Everything was SATA connections so I installed a new dvdrw. Invested in two solid state HD's, one for the system and one to store everything.
I installed win10 pro 64bit.

FSX installed OK, but it doesn't like acceleration, or half my FSX aircraft which I've been using for years, or ORBX Which won't display correctly and is tileing all the time. I've had enough of win10 and just bought win7 64bit.

I'm going to have a few day's of reinstalling.
I need to get some beer and a few packed lunches in.............
Steve.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I have every sympathy.
Hello Grumpy and thanks, I too have found problems with FSX as I cannot register it nor can I install Acceleration because of that :wall: Have now put up a plea for help in The Virtual Spanner.

Ran OK before but I bet it is down to the last update to Windows 1803! :rant: Though I have now found a way to place shortcuts on my desktop. ;)

Regards
Nigel.

grumpyoldb
Viscount
Viscount

Post by grumpyoldb »

Nigel, I put it down to win10 being unstable. Looking around on several forums, peeps do not want to move on from win7.
I know there is only about three years support left for win7, I just hope that is enough time to sort out the probs with 10.
Steve.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

W10 in my experience is Ok with both FS9 & FSX Acc. Mind you I upgraded from W8.1 with them already installed & the cross over went smoothly as long as one did not try to go faster that the upgrade suggested. I did though have problems in changing from FSX SP2 to FSX+Acc.....on my laptop.
Trouble is I cannot remember the way to get it to install correctly & there is a lot of info out there in Flightsim & SoH about how to do it. Don't despair, there are answers. I do use W8.1 on my main 'puter though!
Good luck
Keith