Mystery Auster

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Mystery Auster

Post by FlyTexas »

While enjoying my daily visit to abpic I came across this interesting pic. Any ideas what these mysterious objects are that are attached to the Auster? :dunno:
https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1604728

Brian

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Mystery Auster

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I got this info when I went to the above link:

"Unsure of the location and exact date, but in the early fifties the aircraft was fitted with Saunders Roe hydro-skis *, I am unsure what is under the centre of the aircraft, maybe a buoyancy aid. The aircraft was tested taking off from mud flats at Ryde Isle of Wight. On 28 August 1966 the aircraft had a fatal crash during a pleasure flight."

* Highlighting is mine.

So it would appear that it is fitted with an experimental ski/float system.
Larry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

The big bulbous thingies had me confused. I wasn't sure if they were part of the ski system. I found this a short time ago...
"During early low-speed trials on water, buoyancy-tanks were fitted under the wing-tips as a precautionary measure, but were soon removed."
So I can only assume the thingies attached to the skies were more buoyancy-tanks.

Brian

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Looking at the photo it would appear that buoyancy tanks had indeed been added to snow skis which would also tie in with the name 'hydro-ski', a ski that works on water. Floats on the wings are a common addition for water birds but they are usually sleeker than these! :lol:
Larry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Tako_Kichi wrote:
17 May 2018, 16:21
Floats on the wings are a common addition for water birds but they are usually sleeker than these! :lol:
Exactly. :lol: You'd think that the Auster would want to pitch over on its nose when landing. I wonder how they kept the tail from dipping into the water? *-)

Brian