X-Plane 11 My Verdict

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by Vancouver »

Anyway, my good lady wife came to me today and said, "you my sweet charming husband, what would you like for the upcoming Father's day?" or words to that effect. I said "oh well the chaps at CBFS are continually banging on about how wonderful X-Plane is so I might try that". "Oh goody" she gleefully expounded, "just you find out how much it will cost and I will run upstairs and get my credit card"

So anyway $59.99 that seems reasonable, "hang about my dear whilst I investigate the DVD's over the seemingly very long download times which people have expressed."

After a few brief moments and having picked myself up from the floor, "They're 'aving a larf!" I spluttered it had suddenly morphed into $99.98. Never mind the pathetic exchange rates our CDN$ gets against the US$.

Fedex 3-5 days is $39.99. Regular mail (with a wait until the end of time) $18.95 and never mind the Express Mail of $46.45.

How much must 11 DVD's weigh I wonder. I will download it I have decided. Bandwidth be damned.

That is all. It better be good you lot else I will be coming 'round all of your houses. :worried:
Alex

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Now a quandry. Should I get it on Steam or just regular edition? Benefits of one against the other?
Alex

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I think I read somewhere that the Steam edition doesn't receive updates as quickly.

Ps, if it all goes wrong, blame Nigel hehe :poke: :lol:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

How much must 11 DVD's weigh I wonder. I will download it I have decided. Bandwidth be damned. That is all.

Hi Alex, at least with the download you can pick which continents you want thus saving disk space and anything else after that, you can always download at another time.

Good to hear you that you are joining the club and although you may very well already have them I would highly recommend getting X Camera (free version) and Head Shake (free version) both compliment each other and give a much better sim experience.
That is all. It better be good you lot else I will be coming 'round all of your houses. :worried:
Don't worry Alex, I'll eat my slippers if you don't like it. :lol:
Now a quandry. Should I get it on Steam or just regular edition? Benefits of one against the other?
I would recommend going straight to Laminar for purchase.
Ps, if it all goes wrong, blame Nigel hehe :poke: :lol:
:worried: :hide: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Thanks for the input chaps. Yes I favour the non Steam. I do worry that one day my FSXSE will not work if they suddenly go tits up. Cheers for the tips.
Now off to rearrange some HD space. :cheers:
Alex

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

To all those running out of memory:
Let Windows manage your page file and make sure you've got enough free hard drive space! Or manually enlarge it!
X-Plane reserves around 10 GB of virtual memory on my setup and with 4 GB of available physical RAM (the rest is occupied by the laptop's GPU) and a previous manual page size of 6 GB, I was crashing the sim way too often.

To get more stable framerates, try 3J FPS Wizard,w hich will adjust LOD details for objects and clouds to obtain a specific target frame rate.
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... th-flying/
Requires FlyWithLUA Core Edition.

P.S: Found my apartment block and parking lot without any photo scenery whatsoever thanks to XEurope and HD Mesh v4!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

many thanks for the info Bjoern, though not being clued up how do you get windows to manage the page file? Never came across out of memory yet probably because I am running X Plane 11 on lower settings than I should.

Always a bit sceptical about running 3rd party software to enhance a sim, is it any good and have you found any glitches in it? may very well try it at some point.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

Nigel H-J wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 17:39
many thanks for the info Bjoern, though not being clued up how do you get windows to manage the page file? Never came across out of memory yet probably because I am running X Plane 11 on lower settings than I should.
I think it's the default setting.

Oddly enough, however, having Windows manage it, won't work for X-Plane on my dektop PC, so I set up a dynamic page file (16 MB to 20 GB) on a partition and voila, zero issues.

There's more than enough tutorials out there that explain how to set up or manage the page file size.
https://www.google.com/search?q=windows ... +file+size
Always a bit sceptical about running 3rd party software to enhance a sim, is it any good and have you found any glitches in it? may very well try it at some point.
Not sure what you mean by "third party software", since both products are mere scenery enhancements, i.e. add-on scenery and completely free.

http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-pla ... cenery-v4/
http://simheaven.com/xp11-sceneries/

The only drawback is the download size for HD Mesh.

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

Slowly upgrading from the "tinkering" to the "flying" stage with a short lap around Berlin (EDAY - EDAZ).

My desktop PC easily manages 40+ FPS at maximum object density with HDR and 2xSSAA. Haven't had a sim look that good since...well, never.

And I'm still impressed. The default C90 is great and even the default airports look so good and accurate that I don't even want third party sceneries.

Also bought X-ATC-Chatter for a bit of background white noise. And World Traffic to bring the airfields to life.

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

Given that this topic has almost made me want to move to X-Plane 11, it's very disappointing to hear that the guy behind HD Mesh (http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-pla ... cenery-v4/) has decided to stop all new development. If HD Mesh covered New Zealand, then that decision would be a foregone conclusion . . .

Anyway, the reason for this post is to ask whether anyone has experience of running X-Plane 11 on a Mac under OSX or MacOS. I would really appreciate any input on this,
thanks in advance,
Ro