BSOD question

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

BSOD question

Post by Paul K »

I wonder if the gurus can help with this one - recently, I've been getting the blue screen of death with the title "IRQL not less or equal" and a memory dump thing ( sorry, that's my technical limit ). The computer then reboots and all is well again.

After this happened a few times, I noticed it seemed to occur when I clicked on my Firefox bookmark for Sim Outhouse. I deleted the bookmark, and have been visiting the site by typing in the address each time, with no problem.

Today I visited SOH, and this time followed three of four links within the site - suddenly the BSOD happened again, with the same IRQL message.

I've looked up the possible causes of this, but I must ask them that know - could clicking on a bookmark for a site, or navigating around that site, really cause a BSOD ? It sounds unlikely, but it does seem to be SOH related.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: BSOD question

Post by Vc Ten »

Might be worth checking your CPU cooling in this hot weather, Paul. Could be it needs a good blow out. Mine used to come up regular with this lrq not equal business. I put it down to overheating
Dale
Image Image Image

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Hi Dale,

Yes, that occurred to me too, so I gave everything a good blow out with a can of air-duster' a couple of weeks ago, when all this first started. Even so, the computer had been running all day, every day, without a problem - it only seemed to happen when I clicked on the SOH bookmark. As said, I deleted the bookmark and started going to SOH each time by typing in the address, and had no further problems until I went there yesterday and started clicking links within the site. I'm sure I'm not imaging this - or is it not possible ? :lol:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Most odd. *-) Have you tried a different browser?
Dave G.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

DaveG wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 12:32
Most odd. *-) Have you tried a different browser?
Good idea. I shall try that and see. :thumbsup:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Update: I used Google Chrome and Firefox side by side at SOH, clicking on the same links ( Chrome first, then Firefox ). No problem with Chrome, but Firefox triggered a BSOD about 5 or 6 clicks later. This is very odd indeed. Perhaps a reinstall of Firefox is in order. *-)

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I use firefox, but never had a problem. If you use any firefox plugins, make sure they're up to date as well.
Dave G.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Cheers Dave. I've reinstalled Firefox, checked my plug-ins as you recommend, and so far no problems. Not that I go to SOH very often, but it was a puzzle. Many thanks to you and to Dale. :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

And it's back again - a few clicks in SOH using Firefox, and bang, a blue screen. Oh well, I shall just have to stick to using Chrome when visiting, which is no great inconvenience. That or avoid SOH altogether, which again is no great inconvenience. :lol: