Gloster Gladiator

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Gloster Gladiator

Post by Airspeed »

Dev One wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 08:19
ps - note the undercarriage shock absorbers - all built into the wheel hubs courtesy of Doughty.'

Spell checker error? I think its spelt DOWTY!

Anyway its looking very nice. BTW do you keep your Gmax model in in mesh or do you convert to editable poly? I found accidentally that if you leave it in mesh then the poly count can be double! I've always converted to poly, so maybe I'm mistaken?

Nit picker Keith.
He may have been thinking of BLIGHTY, but I DOWT it! :hide:

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Keith - of course you're right - I was looking at this advert whilst typing and still got it wrong :doh:

Dave do you use Model ConverterX to change the aircraft over to FSX ? if so I'm pleased to see that it is also P3Dv4 compatible as well.
I have it here but haven't used it for any advanced work yet.
Back to work...
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Yes, I'd use MCX to do the conversion, but it's not always straightforward. It's not simply a matter of opening the FS9 model and saving as FSX.
Dave G.

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Keith - I've just tried converting my model to polys and - yes! much lower poly count. However a bit more experimentation needed here before I dive in.

Dave - ModelConverterX - I didn't think it could be that simple - I read that for one, all FS9 animations had to be changed to FSX notation etc.
I'm sure there's even more to be done. Maybe during a wet week in Winter will be the time to investigate further ?
You may of course convert any of my FS9 builds you think are worthy. ;)
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I must admit that I have chickened out of going FSX native - I did try with my K3 Vega Gull - which uses the FS9 Gmax model as a starting point & opened it in FSX Gmax, (and getting that to work took some head banging in itself!), but the redoing of the animations didn't seem to work for some items. I think I must search for more assistance on how to animate for FSX. Maybe once i've finished my current Miles M2 Hawk Major project - they seem to have fallen through the net.
Keith