Creating your own arbitrary waypoints for Fs9

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

migman29
Trident
Trident

Creating your own arbitrary waypoints for Fs9

Post by migman29 »

You know,the little pink triangles that appear on the map?

How does one create them?
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Re: Creating your own arbitrary waypoints for Fs9

Post by adysmith »

In native FS9 I have no idea how you would create extra waypoints

BUT

If you can still get hold of FSNAV(igator) which used to be freeware it can graphically create waypoints for you on a map display or you can edit a waypoint text file which it uses to create named waypoints.

Other flight plan building tools are available ;)
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

You can use the freeware Plan-G in both FS9 and FSX to create waypoints wherever you want. You can then add them to a flight plan, export it into FS and you're good to go. I've added some local landmarks using it, even my nearest ASDA! :thumbsup:

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

Thanks for those suggestions chaps.

Simply(well,it isn't really,nothing ever is is it ;) ),refering back a little while ago,I asked about plans for the famous Mach Loop for Fs9.
I went out to Cad.West with my son a few weeks ago(had a great father/son day out,he drove)and thought that I'd like to get
things going again and have another go.

I had a plan some years ago,but lost them when my old main drive went west.I've googled for 'em but can't find them(only for FSX)
and I'm stuffed if I can remember where I got them from.

So.
To that end I've mapped(using Google earth)the North West entry points from the Barmouth Estuary,the North Entry from Bala,
the East Entry from Shawbury via Welshpool and finally the South Exit running out of Cad,over lake Tal-y-Llin(instead of a hard left at Corris Corner)
to finally coast out/feet wet at Tywyn then you can either go north for Valley(or if you're in a Tucano steer for Linton),south east for
Brize or east for Marham or Coningsby.

The Loop itself has the main entry point at The Cross Foxes inn on the A470/487 T junction for the Barmouth and Bala entry points
and follows the A487 down through the Cad to Corris and all the way back up through Bluebell,the Spur,the Bwlch and back to the Cross Foxes.

They're all named and are specific points just for doing the Loop(an ex-Albert driver mate says they used lat/long co-ords and various landmarks),
none are "real" as such.

According to the Avsim chaps:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/2308 ... waypoints/

You make up your plan using lat/long co-ords(done that)and using the Microsoft Fs9 SDK BGL creator,make up BGL's and add them to
to your favorite(some say World,others Add-on)scenery folder within the sim as a "scenery"add-on.
Your way points will them show up on the Fs map and GPS as "proper"pink triangle way points.

I've already made the names in the "five letter"capitals format,such as "CROSS" for the Cross foxes Inn junction,but "real" waypoints have
the region denominator infront of their names such as "EG,RADNO" and so on.

The question is has anyone ever tried this method of making up their own waypoints at all?
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

Charlie Hotel
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Charlie Hotel »

I made an FSNav flight plan for the Shawbury Mach Loop and sent it to someone - was that you, Migman? Mind you that was way back in 2009. I've still got the file if you're interested. If you don't have FSNav any more, I could export it to an FS9 flight plan.

edetroit
Meteor
Meteor

Post by edetroit »

migman29 wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 20:12

The question is has anyone ever tried this method of making up their own waypoints at all?
All the time. I only fly FS9 but use up-to-date charts and flight planners. (Navigraph)

I also use FSATC which means I need to update my approaches and navdata for FS9.

I do all this manually myself for every flight I make.

This means that my beloved FS9 will live forever! Muahahaha. :thumbsup:
regards

Ed

My FS Videos

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

Charlie Hotel wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 10:31
I made an FSNav flight plan for the Shawbury Mach Loop and sent it to someone - was that you, Migman? Mind you that was way back in 2009. I've still got the file if you're interested. If you don't have FSNav any more, I could export it to an FS9 flight plan.
That sounds like the one Charlie :welldone:

I remember it departed from Shawbury(EGOS) and turned into the Loop from the Welshpool entry side(East entry point) and it was a good
while ago that I got it so it could well have been 2009.

If you could do the dirty deed than that would indeed be brilliant. :Dance:

Charlie Hotel
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Charlie Hotel »

Migman - I sent you a PM.

Yes it departs from EGOS to WPL NDB then does the loop and arrives at EGOV.

CH

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

Charlie Hotel wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 10:25
Migman - I sent you a PM.

Yes it departs from EGOS to WPL NDB then does the loop and arrives at EGOV.

CH
That sounds like the one 0:)

PM'ed you back Charlie.

I remember I had a rare old time hooning around it in various RAF/RN FJ's plus Tucanos and hairy-assed Merlin/Griffon/P&W powered classic
piston fighters.