True Earth GB South release for P3Dv4

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: True Earth GB South release for P3Dv4

Post by Paul K »

I'm convinced - I'll save my money for Australia v2. :lol:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I decided to give it a try myself, I don't have too slow of a system GTX 1080, i7-7820HK, 32GB Ram, 1TB M2 SSD, but even on my system flying over London with ORBX England installed my frame rates would tank to around 15 (normal on my system in an orbx area I would get 40+. I was going to wait for the next sale when I don't have to pay full price but with all the negativity about it thought I would try it and see for myself.

First thing, it takes really long to load. First couple times I actually killed P3D with the task manager because I though it was frozen, but give it enough time it started up. I started at EGLC and headed up the Thames. The scenery is definitely much better, even HMS Belfast looked better, but now the frame rates are in the 5-10 range. I tried to fly from there to EGHI, it seamed as you moved from the area it had cached, it could not load the data fast enough and there was very little detail until you did something to force it to reload, which would take some time. I think it shows some promise but for now I don't think its ready and for now I have uninstalled it.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

even HMS Belfast looked better, but now the frame rates are in the 5-10 range. I tried to fly from there to EGHI, it seamed as you moved from the area it had cached, it could not load the data fast enough and there was very little detail until you did something to force it to reload, which would take some time. I think it shows some promise but for now I don't think its ready and for now I have uninstalled it.
I ws definitely thinking of getting P3d sometime this year but after reading about loading times will give it a miss until P3d catch up with X Plane 11.

With X Plane my loading times are less than a minute at London Airport with scenery maxed out and using a payware aircraft though it is only the Diamond 62, guess it may take a bit longer with a payware tube-liner though.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Bit the bullet and lashed out the cash. With my new upgraded Broad Band it didn't take too long to download and install.

First load up of P3D was painfully slow but I assumed it was updating itself. HA! Every time I load up takes a long time - read, time to make a cup of coffee for me & lady wife, and I have an all SSD rig which - in theory - should eat this sort of program. Shouldn't it?

A quick initial trip from London City to Heathrow had my frame rates down to around 25 - from 60+ before. My initial impression was "Coo, looks good...…." Then I noticed that the road traffic crossing the Thames did so under the road bridges :dunno:

I've had a few flights now and I really can't get to like it. Just when I begin to be impressed it spoils it for my by doing something daft like having both moving and stationary traffic on the A30 by Andover. Having lived there for a while believe me, it isn't a car park!

So I'm undecided at the moment but I will most likely bin it and put it down to experience.

Just my two bob's worth. :)

ATB

Allan

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Oops, seems I got in a mess with the underlining. Apologies.

ATB

Allan

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I thought I had been unfair with my criticism so reloaded. It can look good on my system but with a reasonably low end card 770gtx it is not good enough. Very blurry at times when flying with real weather even over Wales and other places. Have deactivated till I get a new card or it is patched. Likewise I think it does show promise. I flew about 10 flights over southern England at 4500 in GA and did a Brum to Shannon flight at 14000.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Ever ready to overdo it I have both True Earth GB South and The Netherlands. The Netherlands has not caused a great deal of problems BUT GB South is terrible. I'm not talking about the detail but the loading times and the crashes it has caused. Even loading up my usual Leeming default flight can take long enough to make coffee from a cold start. And there's me with a full SSD outfit ;)

For example, simple flight Leeming to Brize, no problem initially then I hit a treacle wall where frame rates drop to single numbers and this goes on for several minutes all the while the scenery is just a green soup. Once over the - I assume - load up process is complete then I'm back to 50+ FPS and the angels are in heaven.

My second example is all the more annoying, flight Cyprus to Brize. No probs until around 200 miles out when I start to slow and prep for descent. Again the ground is soup and when I hit the boundary of True Earth and 'Normal' scenery then FRs drop and my PC goes into overdrive before the whole shebang freezes up and the message "P3D is not responding" rather than quit I select the wait option because the PC is still hammering away at - again I guess - loading the new scenery. This can take up to half an hour before suddenly jumping back into life as if nothing has happened.

So far I have lost several flights due to the above problems. As I type this I have a notification that an update is 'ready for download' for GB South so maybe something is being done? Hope that is not a squadron of pigs I hear flying over...……………

ATB

Allan

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

As I type this I have a notification that an update is 'ready for download' for GB South so maybe something is being done? Hope that is not a squadron of pigs I hear flying over...……………
Hi Allan, just an update with a control panel and buildings revised and optimized see here: https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/170 ... pdate-p3d/

An interesting post by John Venema if any-one has AFS2, the beta version of TE South UK he is reporting that early tests show about 180fps in rural areas, 100+ in city areas. Mind you I do not think that AFS2 have weather or AI aircraft (could be wrong) but this is a platform that interests me even though I really enjoy X Plane 11 and get extremely good performance with TE UK.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/170 ... -previews/

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I downloaded the update yesterday and reactivated the scenery. Did a flight Plymouth to Lands End. AS real weather and Ultimate Traffic. Framerates OK and flew at 4500. Looked OK but will need getting used to. Will try a flight from EGLC today.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

After installing the update to GB South I made 2 flights, one from Leeming to Boscombe Down which went OK until I hit the 'join' between normal scenery and GB South. A bit like hitting an invisible wall. Everything stopped while the PC innards went ballistic, a good 5 minutes passed before flying was resumed but, oh dear, where was the wonderful 'more real than it gets' scenery? I was flying over a green soup with the occasional black box which I took to be buildings. After flying round for quite some time I found Boscombe, to be fair the scenery had begun to come in and I landed on a black line with a few buildings around it.

My second trip was from London City to Farnborough in a Gloster Gladiator via the Thames. Now I have a fairly beefy machine with 32 GB RAM and with 'normal' scenery London is around 50 - 70 FPS; With GB South it dropped in places to 4 FPS! To add insult to injury has anyone noticed that the road traffic crossing the Thames does so under the bridges? I would have thought that this simple error would have been sorted with this update?

Sadly if Orbyx don't up their game they are going to lose this customer - and most of my scenery is theirs.

So, not impressed.

ATB

Allan