Why I won't be using X-plane

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

biplaneflyer
Meteor
Meteor

Why I won't be using X-plane

Post by biplaneflyer »

Well I have been away from flightsim for sometime - got myself a new computer so thought I would re-install all my FSX stuff and maybe try out X-Plane 11 and if get new stuff use that as a platform - some of the planes in x-plane interested me since i'm more a fan of the lighter GA stuff. Well downloaded the demo - looks ok - seemed to work ok on my system - thought i try and download the Aerobask Robin from x-plane.org to try something ab bit more resource hungry- 10 goes freezes at 51% everytime. Thought I try a payware plane instead then - fancied the Panthera from Aerobask - tried to download from their site which directs you to the xplane.org store - put through my details - get an an e-mail saying my payment needs to be verified. Now I have 2 homes -one in the UK - which is my billing address and one in Bulgaria where I am currently resident for the summer. So I get an e-mail from [email protected] saying I have a UK billing address but am located in Bulgaria and wanting proof of ID , as they are worried re: credit card fraud. (great customer service right there - it was quite a direct e-mail) Inform whoever this person is - has they do not have the courtesy to use their own name- of my situation (not an unusual occurrence in Europe to have holiday home in a different country) and that I will under no circumstances be forwarding ID as well as my credit card info to a person who who I have no idea in hell who they are. So order cancelled. Have informed Aerobask they have lost a sale - I can see no other vendors that I can use from the Aerobask site -I believe quite a few X-plane vendors use this f**kwit organistaion to sell their products. So they will have lost potential sales and so has Laminar research. I'll stick to FSX for now. P.S. I bought and installed Condor 2 gliding flightsim yesterday and several addons over the internet with no issues at all.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Why I won't be using X-plane

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I fail to see the issue really. If someone tried to use my card abroad and the transaction was stopped, I'd be rather happy.

I think you've cut your nose off to spite your face but there we go.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

biplaneflyer
Meteor
Meteor

Post by biplaneflyer »

The issue was the way it was done - quite an accusatory tone - I explained the situation, it wasn't accepted -the person Involved didn't even have the common decency to use there proper name. Someone can use your card in your own country - makes f**k all difference to credit card fraud, where the cards used. I have not cut off my nose to spite my face - I simply won't use X-plane for the foreseeable future -their loss not mine, and the developer using their site lose money as well. If you think its appropriate to provide ID and your credit card details to someone else you don't know - fine by me, you'll learn. Your probably accepting of s**t customer service as it is by your tone, and this is what this was.. I'll stick to flying in FSX and Condor 2 -no big loss to me.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

No, I just have a better understanding of security. Enjoy FSX.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

get an an e-mail saying my payment needs to be verified. Now I have 2 homes -one in the UK - which is my billing address and one in Bulgaria where I am currently resident for the summer. So I get an e-mail from [email protected] saying I have a UK billing address but am located in Bulgaria and wanting proof of ID , as they are worried re: credit card fraud.
I don't see what the problem is Biplaneflyer, having 2 addresses should not be a problem, if you just stick to the one billing address i.e. UK then you should be OK but if on the other hand you give them your other address as well then you are bound to cause problems. Equally using two addresses are only going to compound your situation hence the request of proof.
If you think its appropriate to provide ID and your credit card details to someone else you don't know - fine by me, you'll learn. Your probably accepting of s**t customer service as it is by your tone, and this is what this was.. I'll stick to flying in FSX and Condor 2 -no big loss to me.
I think your reply to CB is unwarranted and unhelpful, CB was only making a point, instead of coming here and throwing a fit why don't you take a
more constructive and sensible approach on this matter by contacting X Plane.Org who by the way, have no affiliation with Laminar Research! Hence CBs' remark!! You are losing out big time on a simulation that has plenty to offer with more to come and, unlike FSX, no stutters!!

I have given you a link below so that you can contact X Plane.Org directly just look down the page until you get to Sales Question or if you prefer click here: [email protected]

https://store.x-plane.org/About-Us-_ep_7.html

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

biplaneflyer
Meteor
Meteor

Post by biplaneflyer »

ok i'll shut up and go away and play with the big boys who can read properly.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

:-O :lol: :lol:

CB..Nigel...now look what you've done ! ;)

I have a similar problem in that I have two homes, with the bank account ( and so the debit card ) registered at one address and my Mastercard credit card at the other. It means that I can't pay off the credit card with the debit card. I can only do it via internet banking. And that's with both addresses in the UK.

Biplaneflyer, there's a lot of very good freeware for X-Plane; the Yak-18T, AeroBask Robin and the Zibo-mod 737 all mentioned here recently. Lots of scenery and utilities too. You should be able to set it up very well without having to spend anything. :)
Last edited by Paul K on 03 May 2019, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Nigel made me do it :hide:

I'm guessing you haven't gone through a whole box of Kleenex grizzling over the matter though ;)

(Other tissue brands are available).

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

and play with the big boys who can read properly.
Biplaneflyer, in your post you stated:
get an an e-mail saying my payment needs to be verified. Now I have 2 homes -one in the UK - which is my billing address and one in Bulgaria where I am currently resident for the summer. So I get an e-mail from [email protected] saying I have a UK billing address but am located in Bulgaria and wanting proof of ID , as they are worried re: credit card fraud. (great customer service right there - it was quite a direct e-mail) Inform whoever this person is - has they do not have the courtesy to use their own name- of my situation (not an unusual occurrence in Europe to have holiday home in a different country) and that I will under no circumstances be forwarding ID as well as my credit card info to a person who who I have no idea in hell who they are. So order cancelled.
The reason for me giving you a link to X Plane .Org was so that you could e-mail them away from the original sender and let them know of your dissatisfaction and of course their reasons for wanting ID. It is not that I cannot read but I have only been unhappy with one e-mail I received and instead of replying to it directly I e-mailed the company and had a reply from some-one else and at the end of the day the problem was resolved.

I, along with any other member of this forum would only be too happy to help and advise you if you ask for it but coming on here slating a company in the way you did and also being rude does not help.

If you do decide to continue with X Plane and need help or advise as written above then please ask.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.