P3DV4.5

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

P3DV4.5

Post by Scorpius »

Bug fix for V4.5 now on Lockheed Martin website;

https://www.prepar3d.com/news/2019/05/115307/

Nev

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: P3DV4.5

Post by Filonian »

Thanks for the heads up Nev :thumbsup:

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Thanks; it seems to have cured my regular CTDs. :welldone:

Now I can get some hours in.

ATB

Allan

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I gave it a try last night with Nigel's AVRO 621 Tutor flying over central London with Orbx England installed, definitely improved, frame rates were 50-100% better than before. Have not tried with TrueEarth South yet (which was unusable before) but will report back when I do.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

blanston12 wrote:
16 May 2019, 20:52
I gave it a try last night with Nigel's AVRO 621 Tutor flying over central London with Orbx England installed, definitely improved, frame rates were 50-100% better than before. Have not tried with TrueEarth South yet (which was unusable before) but will report back when I do.
I'd be very interested to hear how True Earth GB 's performance has improved with this latest update, Joe.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Using an i5960 with Nvidia 980 card flying Rick's 748 (is there anything else as good?) clocked at 4Ghz I get 17 frames per sec from London city airport.
Sliders set to normal

Why are all the railway tracks green? :dunno:

Nev

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Scorpius wrote:
18 May 2019, 13:50
Using an i5960 with Nvidia 980 card flying Rick's 748 (is there anything else as good?) clocked at 4Ghz I get 17 frames per sec from London city airport.
Sliders set to normal

Why are all the railway tracks green? :dunno:

Nev
Wrong kind of rain? :dunno:

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Filonian wrote:
18 May 2019, 18:03
Wrong kind of rain? :dunno:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

After re-downloading and installing TE-GBS, I took it for a few test flights. First two started at EGLC and headed toward the city center and then turned north. its defiantly better than before, but over central London it gets a bit bogged down, fps usually in the low to mid teens on my system and the area around tower bridge seams to be the worst, got so bad I lost control of Ant's Tiger Moth trying to fly though the opening in the bridge. Once I got away from the center things got much better but there was a noticeable 'stutter' every couple seconds when near a city.

My last test started at EGJJ and flew to EGLC in a Carenado Bonanza. For reference I was getting 70-80+ fps from Jersey to the English coast, then it dropped to a respectable 30-40 until I got to the outskirts of London when it again slowed down into the teens, finally bogging down as I came into land and got a CTD after coming to a stop on the runway (not a pretty landing mind you).

The improvement in the scenery is impressive but around London its difficult to use. Still undecided if I will keep it installed.

My system i7-7820HK with 32GB, GTX1080, P3Dv4.5 installed on an SSD.
Joe Cusick,

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Update: I had been reading a post on the ORBX forum by John Venema, Orbx CEO titled "TEGB South P3Dv4.4 - settings for smooth performance at 4K" where he shows his settings where he is getting good performance, so I tried playing with the settings and finally found the key to getting good performance.

Turn off shadows.

In his settings only Internal Vehicle and Clouds cast shadows and only Internal Vehicle receives shadows. When I did that it performance changed dramatically. I could fly over central London with 20-30 fps with marginal stutters. I remember before that shadows can be a true performance killer, I did a flight once into Fiji (NFFN) without any real special scenery and was getting horrible frame rates, but after turning off shadows for vegetation it was good again. I do think that the shadows and reflections in P3D are one of the things that make it look so much better than anything else, but there is a cost to that. I think I will setup two different graphics profiles, one without shadows for TE-GBS and one with shadows and reflections for everywhere else and it will be an acceptable compromise.

You can read his post here:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/168 ... nce-at-4k/
Joe Cusick,