Sat-Nav....Has This Happened To You?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Sat-Nav....Has This Happened To You?

Post by Nigel H-J »

Whilst on holiday at Exmouth we decided to drive some 60 miles to Monkey World so put the post code into the sat-nav.........waited.......then it gave me the options Fast, Short, Economical so chose the short route.

Later I began to think that the sat-nav was making a monkey out of me for after a few miles it directed me onto this road which went on and on and on and............if it was detachable it would have gone out of the window!! There was absolutely no chance of turning around and each bend I approached and sounding my horn as a warning I had that awful feeling that one of the locals would come round at not too lower speed as though he owned the only car in the locality.

Fun and games here! This car was travelling a bit faster than me around the bend

Stopped and reloaded my journey as soon as I reached a small village then chose fast route, after a few more miles of driving on the horse and cart route I was back on what was an 'A' road but will now be very careful about selecting shortest route!!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Sat-Nav....Has This Happened To You?

Post by blanston12 »

That's why you always pick the fastest route. One time while driving around the American Southwest I was trying to get from one place to another and after picking the shortest route it tried to send me down 30 miles of wash board dirt road. After 2 miles I was pretty sure the car would not make it and we turned around and found another route.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

I always find it worrying that Monkey World is quite so close to the Tank Museum, both of which are a top day out in my book I just don't want them to combine any time soon.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Okay chaps, it's a Nigel H-J thread, so I'll start this off: I don't use sat nav any more because it kept directing me on to the London ORBITAL.

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

We're driving down to the South of France next weekend. New car with new Satnav. Using it with a due sense of dread as my experience with Satnavs is they work great on routes you are already familiar with and don't need them anyway, but dreadful when you're somewhere new and need them the most! Needless to say, I have also invested in a good old fashioned AA France Road Atlas, which combined with some old-school common sense should get me where I need to go, whatever the Satnav tries to tell me. 8)

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Needless to say, I have also invested in a good old fashioned AA France Road Atlas, which combined with some old-school common sense should get me where I need to go, whatever the Satnav tries to tell me.
Added to which a basic sense of direction e.g if heading south then West is on your right etc.
Only problem is that SWMBO won’t/can’t read a map. It’s bad enough when heading North but head South then left/ right becomes even more meaningless! Good job I like maps. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Okay chaps, it's a Nigel H-J thread, so I'll start this off: I don't use sat nav any more because it kept directing me on to the London ORBITAL.
:lol: :lol:
Needless to say, I have also invested in a good old fashioned AA France Road Atlas,
After that messing about, I too have invested in a road map as well!! B-)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Note that France has very recently imposed a universal 80kph i.e.50 mph speed limit on all single carriageway roads

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

cstorey wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 12:52
Note that France has very recently imposed a universal 80kph i.e.50 mph speed limit on all single carriageway roads
Ah, I did not know that, thanks for the HU! :thumbsup: My problem with the new car is that the km/h part of the speed dial is printed ridiculously small and for reasons that defy common sense in very dark red on a black background. I've got pretty good eyesight but I literally can't read it unless it's in direct sunlight, which is never! So I'm going to have to memorise the mph equivalents and use them instead... 8)

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

That's a good road for down here in Devon.
If you look closely you can see daylight either side of the approaching car :)