"Use by" limits for vehicles in your country?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

"Use by" limits for vehicles in your country?

Post by Airspeed »

Whilst trying to source bits for my 37 year old van, a shop operator said that there are places where vehicles are refused registration after certain odometer readings or ages.
There are no such limits in Australia.
I'd be interested in what applies in your country.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: "Use by" limits for vehicles in your country?

Post by Nigel H-J »

I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I applaud the UK system of after 3 years cars must thereafter be certified as roadworthy yearly. Here in B.C. (I cannot speak for the rest of Canada) the only checks made used to be Aircare (emissions). That has been done away with in the last few years. Otherwise there is nothing. I find it amazing for a country which normally likes to interfere in just about every private aspect of you life that this be the case. 8)
Alex

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Nothing like that here in Brazil, not even annual inspections. On the contrary, owners cease to pay the principal vehicle tax after a number of years, starting as low as 10 years in some states, up to 20 years maximum.

We did have an emissions testing scheme (or scam) for a while in São Paulo, but that was essentially a retirement fund for the mayor as the heavy polluters (trucks and buses) weren't tested. There is a proposal to implement a national emissions testing regime by the end of 2019, but we are already in July and it's unlikely to happen this year.

Regular roadworthiness and safety checks simply don't happen. There is supposed to be a check of safety items when a vehicle changes hands, but you would have to try really hard to fail and it only happens with a change of owner.

As long as the annual licence and compulsory third party insurance is paid folks can pretty much drive any heap of crap on the roads, the only risk is if you run into a cop who isn't asking for a backhander (I'm sure there are one or two around the country :hide: ) who can fine you for busted lights and other minor issues.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Here in California vehicles more than 5 years old require semi-annual smog checks. All the equipment that was originally required has to be installed and working. All the other safety equipment has to be there but they don't have regular inspections. I see cars driving around from the 50's, 40's and 30's or a reasonably regular basis. The California climate is good for preserving old cards.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

I remember in the mid-late 60s, Dad presented the Renault Dauphine for its MoT. It passed, although Dad reported that old Davie Meiklejohn the mechanic had said "Aye, Mr Ward, it got through OK but it's a good thing you did not get the optional front disc brakes when you bought it from us." :lol:

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

In the UK, any car over 40 years old is exempt from both road tax and roadworthiness (MOT) obligation.

George

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

I don't think there is any restriction on age for registering cars in Virginia (i have a 1997 Honda Accord) All cars, even new ones, must have a safety inspection annually. In certain areas (like Northern Virginia where I live) cars must also have a bi-annual emissions inspection. I know Maryland only rewires one safety inspection prior to the sale of a used vehicle. None after that unless the new owner wishes to sell the vehicle.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

GHD wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 13:46
In the UK, any car over 40 years old is exempt from both road tax and roadworthiness (MOT) obligation.

George
Wow! :-O The authorities maybe reckon that you'd need to be an enthusiast to keep it going, and therefore are looking after it. Is third party insurance was still compulsory for these old beasts?

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Yes, they still need to be insured.

George