Microsoft Launch new FSX version

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Microsoft Launch new FSX version

Post by TSR2 »

Here's an interesting post from Microsoft yesterday (8th August 2019)
In 2014 Microsoft entered into an agreement allowing Dovetail Games to bring Flight Simulator X to Steam. Today, we are announcing that we’ve reached the end of our partnership agreement.
We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation to Dovetail Games for the partnership they’ve provided over the past 5 years. Going forward, Microsoft will take over support of Flight Simulator X and we look forward to sharing our next steps with the community in the very near future.
Paul Jackson CEO Dovetail adds “We are incredibly proud to have looked after this fantastic flight sim during the last 5 years and we will continue publishing existing and new add-ons for FSX: Steam Edition on Steam”.
This change will not impact your game experience or impact existing or future add-ons purchased from Steam.
Microsoft

The return of Microsoft Flight Simulator X is an important step in embracing our accountability and responsibility to those that have come before us. And to those that continue to value and invest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X experience.
That passion, investment, and appreciation must be recognized and reflected in our commitment to carry the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise into the next generation. We are not building on, but building from, the product and history that is Microsoft Flight Simulator X.
Today, with a bit of bittersweet sentiment, we say “Welcome Home” to an old friend.
More on our FSX plans coming soon…

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

TSR2 wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 01:08
Here's an interesting post from Microsoft yesterday (8th August 2019)
In 2014 Microsoft entered into an agreement allowing Dovetail Games to bring Flight Simulator X to Steam. Today, we are announcing that we’ve reached the end of our partnership agreement.
We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation to Dovetail Games for the partnership they’ve provided over the past 5 years. Going forward, Microsoft will take over support of Flight Simulator X and we look forward to sharing our next steps with the community in the very near future.
Paul Jackson CEO Dovetail adds “We are incredibly proud to have looked after this fantastic flight sim during the last 5 years and we will continue publishing existing and new add-ons for FSX: Steam Edition on Steam”.
This change will not impact your game experience or impact existing or future add-ons purchased from Steam.
Microsoft

The return of Microsoft Flight Simulator X is an important step in embracing our accountability and responsibility to those that have come before us. And to those that continue to value and invest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X experience.
That passion, investment, and appreciation must be recognized and reflected in our commitment to carry the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise into the next generation. We are not building on, but building from, the product and history that is Microsoft Flight Simulator X.
Today, with a bit of bittersweet sentiment, we say “Welcome Home” to an old friend.
More on our FSX plans coming soon…

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team
Very interesting. Maybe this is why DT abandoned FSW, MS told them they were going to take it back. I am glad that MS will start from FSX rather than going clean sheet, I do hope they will collaborate with LM to build on the FSX improvements they have done.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

The conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day with this. :lol:
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Sorry for being a bit thick but does this mean then that MS are going to update FSX and Acceleration as an on-going simulation? If my brain unscrambles itself then what are the possibilities that they may undertake with FSX? Updating it into a 64bit application or would they have to re-write all the coding? More speculation here but wonder what other updates they could do to enhance FSX over and above what it is in its' present form? :dunno:

Maybe I should re-install it just in case!! *-)

Oh b*ll*cks, just re-read it and they are actually talking about the Steam Edition so where does that leave those who purchased from vendors??!! :wall:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Nigel,

No, It just means they've brought it back into their fold. I suspect the support websites etc will be updated to go back to Microsoft. This will give them the opportunity to push the new sim when its ready, as clicking on support links etc would take you to the new sim.

I've just downloaded P3D 4.5 and was surprised to see the last major release was 2017.... Now does this mean that Microsoft will be taking over that too (if there hasn't been a major realease in 2 years) hmmm.... Like Dave says, read into it what you wioll… I'm just stirring the pot. :worried:

ImageImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

TSR2 wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 19:42
I've just downloaded P3D 4.5 and was surprised to see the last major release was 2017.... Now does this mean that Microsoft will be taking over that too (if there hasn't been a major realease in 2 years) hmmm.... Like Dave says, read into it what you wioll… I'm just stirring the pot. :worried:
LM seams to have minor updates every 4-5 months and major updates every 2-3 years a major version. I would not be surprised if 5.0 will not be out soon. Version 4.5 was released in April, and the last minor versions before a major release were 1.4, 2.5 and 3.4. Unfortunately LM, being defense contractors, are a bit more secretive about what they are working on, usually the first you hear about the new release, is that its out.

DTG made a mess of FSW and I am sure they are more than happy to have M$ buy back FSX. LM on the other had is a serious company that has made big investments in P3D and made good progress in there development. I don't think they would give that up without a fight.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I’m just going to sit here in my X-plane lifeboat and wait for the floods to subside.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Nigel,

No, It just means they've brought it back into their fold. I suspect the support websites etc will be updated to go back to Microsoft. This will give them the opportunity to push the new sim when its ready, as clicking on support links etc would take you to the new sim.
Many thanks Ben, that is reassuring to know as I think there would be many like me who purchased through a vendor left feeling very frustrated in being sidelined. After all, the majority of FSX users purchased long before Steam sold it on-line in 2014.

I think I will at some point re-install it and wait to see what transpires, really missing all the classic aircraft!

Regards
Nigel.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

From what I understand, DTG, Steam and actually Lockheed Martin don’t own any of the rights, they are all licensing deals of one form or another. Also, my wee Microsoft mate tells me the P3D team are almost all ex Softies, and interestingly, they have always had a commercial relationship with Microsoft, who have helped with various parts of Windows integration.
Now, do LM shareholders see P3D as a core business asset, probably not. And remember MS’s commercial version of FSX is what LM have been developing into P3D. All interesting stuff. I guess we’ll all find out eventually.

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Since you mentioned P3d being licenced, wonder if at any time MS might take that back too as it seems to me that although MS are next year releasing a brand new simulation, they have taken back FSX from Dovetail Games P3d itself is still basically FSX though in a newer format and cannot help wondering whether that may too merge back into MS hands. After all, there are many users of P3d out there and if MS are willing and able to improve P3d then that would create a ready made income for them.

Conspiracies, rumours, speculation is what we are likely to have until Microsoft unveil their future plans for FSX.

Regards
Nigel.