A day in the life....

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: A day in the life....

Post by nigelb »

Well Mike, the lobotomy didn't work out as well as I had hoped!

NigelÃ

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Yesterday I finally went to see the endocrinologist about my latest health issues and it was quite a good meeting considering. We got to chat about the condition, what is going to happen next and what meds I need to take before the next step happens.

Basically my thyroid gland is behaving like an engine with the throttle stuck open and it's producing way more hormone than it should be which in turn is causing multiple health issues as a result. There are two 'markers' they check for in a blood test and my results are way out of whack!

Marker____Normal ____Mine
T4________ 9-19______ 27
T3________2.5-5.8 ____21.5

What they are going to have to do is kill the thyroid with radioactive iodine and then I will have to replace the missing hormone with pills for the rest of my life. Sounds like a PITA but it is better than the alternative with is liver and/or kidney failure if the condition is left untreated!

As to the pills, I have to take a beta-blocker to slow down my heart-rate prior to having the iodine treatment as the thyroid hormone is causing me to have a high 'at rest' rate (between 80 and 95 bpm) and the doc wants it down to sub-70 as the iodine can cause a spike in heart-rate apparently.

I also have a very low Vitamin D level and he wants to improve that too. I already take 2,000 mg of Vitamin D every day but he's now put me on 50,000 mg twice per week!

Now I have to wait for a hospital appointment to get the treatment done.
Larry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Good luck with all that Larry,

My wife had to have her thyroid surgically removed a few years back and has had to take hormone pills to make up for it, the pills are working pretty well and the worst thing about them is she has to wait half an hour after before she can have her morning coffee. It was a little rocky getting the balance right at first but they got it worked out.

Vitamin D seams to be a common problem, in my case they put me on a daily dose of 5000 mg several weeks before my procedure.

Good luck, hope they don't make you wait too long.
ATB.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Oh perhaps I have a solution .
The missus could wake up half an hour before she wakes up. Take the medicine then - go back to sleep so when she wakes up she can have her coffee straight away.

I won't even send you a bill for my services.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

airboatr wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 05:32
The missus could wake up half an hour before she wakes up. Take the medicine then - go back to sleep so when she wakes up she can have her coffee straight away.

Believe it or not, that is exactly what she does :guinn:
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Tako_Kichi wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 17:27
Yesterday I finally went to see the endocrinologist ..........

Now I have to wait for a hospital appointment to get the treatment done.
Very best wishes for that, Larry.
Any idea why they decided on nuclear rather than surgery?

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Airspeed wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 08:41
Any idea why they decided on nuclear rather than surgery?
According to the endocrinologist nuclear is the preferred method nowadays as it apparently carries less risk than surgery as they do not have to anesthetize you (basically take you to the edge of death) and bring you back again. Anesthetics are always one of the most risky parts of any surgery.
Larry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Have been watching this thread closely and feel for all you chaps, so can only hope that whatever treatment you go through is a successful one.
Anesthetics are always one of the most risky parts of any surgery.
It most certainly is and the older you are the more risks involved, that is why a surgeon refused to operate on my spine due to having had a heart attack and also suffering with heart disease. Another risk factor that I faced was that any operation on my spine could result in paralysis but I am now quite happy to wheel round the shops in my wheelchair, at least I get the exercise I need for my heart. :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

blanston12 wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 06:39
airboatr wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 05:32

Believe it or not, that is exactly what she does :guinn:

Glad i could help! ;)

:hide: