Advice on VR

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Advice on VR

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi chaps, looking to purchase VR for my computer so I can fly X-Plane, race in RFactor2 as well as Dirt Rally. Have been looking up all the different types of VR available and came to the conclusion that the Occulus Rift 'S' may be the one to go for.

Also read up on the Samsung Oddyssey but have now discounted that one, as for the Vive it is more expensive than the Occulus Rifts 'S' so looking towards buying the latter, though would like to hear of your comments even though my mind is made up 90%.

Does any-one have the new Occulus 'S' and how have you found it?

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Advice on VR

Post by Airspeed »

No actual experience with the brands which you mention, Nigel.
I do have a soft spot for Occulus because they were the first I read about.
The grandsons have VR which I have used briefly on their games.
Haven't run FS because their system is for XBOX or something similar.
Whatever you choose, it'll be a game-changer, as they say. :hide:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I've got an original Rift, which I'm happy with although being a first gen headset it does suffer from low-ish resolution. If I were to upgrade it would probably be to a Rift S.
Dave G.

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Like Dave I have the original Oculus Rift and I agree it suffers from low resolution and the screen door effect... but I still wouldn't fly another other way now! If I were to upgrade I'd either get the Rift S, or I'd wait and see if the Reverb Pro either becomes available in greater numbers or is rapidly replaced with an improved version.

What video card are you running? I have a 1080ti 11GB, which I'm very pleased with as it is vastly better VFM than the newer 2080 series.

Andy

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi all and many thanks for your inputs.
Like Dave I have the original Oculus Rift and I agree it suffers from low resolution and the screen door effect... but I still wouldn't fly another other way now! If I were to upgrade I'd either get the Rift S, or I'd wait and see if the Reverb Pro either becomes available in greater numbers or is rapidly replaced with an improved version.
Andy, I just had a look at the Reverb Pro and there appears to be a bit of a tracking problem unless that has now been corrected but at a very much higher price than the Oculus Rift 'S'. Obviously for me I do not want to spend more money than necessary and feel that after reading more reviews of the Oculus Rift 'S' this is now likely to be on my list which will now being October as have quite a few things to buy!! :help:

Went to PC World yesterday to have a look at one but the salesman there said they do not stock/sell them but their website shows differently, think I may purchase locally such as Argos rather than order from Amazon or elsewhere as if anything goes wrong I do not have to mess about with posting and packaging during the warranty period unless of course there are suppliers giving a discount!! :lol:

I was actually hoping that PC World had some in so that I could at least try one out, not necessarily the Oculus but alas it was waste of time.

One question I do have about VR is that I use 2 screens, the other one for Pilot2ATC, when wearing the headset I don't suppose that you can also view the second monitor from the headset? Silly question but just curious.

Again, many thanks for your replies.

Regards
Nigel.

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Nigel H-J wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 15:49
Reverb Pro and there appears to be a bit of a tracking problem
Indeed, hence my comment about the hope for an improved version. The review in the current PC Pilot makes for interesting reading. For me the vastly greater resolution, in addition to lack of screen door, would tempt me if I didn't already have a Rift though, despite the issues.

Andy
Last edited by spatialpro on 23 Aug 2019, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Andy, from my reading some reviews of the Oculus Rift S the screen door effect has been substantially reduced if not gone. My specs are i7-900K with 32GB RAM and a GTX 2070 card so now I can run VR without too many problems. Really lookig forward to the experience as spent the last half hour watching YouTube videos of the Oculus in flight simming and car racing.

Regards
Nigel.

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

Hi Nigel
I have moved to Rift S this year from the original Rift CV1 and can confirm the image quality is much brighter and clearer than previously.
The screen door effect is not really noticable and much more detail is visible in cockpits to the extent that all instruments and most cockpit labels are easily readable..
I mainly use it in X-Plane and DCS now and have found the performance of Rift S to be very good. Smoother than Rift and the slightly slower refresh rate of 80 instead of 90 is not noticable at all.
Desk mounted sensors are now gone and the headset incorporates a tracking system which works very well.
I can even wear varifocals whilst using Rift S which was not possible before.
The only downside is that instead of the headband mounted headphones in Rift they have moved to having sound from the headband itself which has reduced the sound quality from Rift S. That said it is possible to use headphones or ear buds with Rift S to overcome this and a sound socket is provided on the headset.
Comfort wise the facial interface is very good and the halo headband very comfortable.
Whilst not a major upgrade I'm happy to have moved to Rift S for the sake of improved image quality and convenience of being able to wear glasses.
There were sevaral issues in early days such as flashes in display and stutters but these now seem to have been resolved by firmware updates.
Hope this helps.
Steve M

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Steve and very many thanks for such in in-depth write-up of the Oculus Rift 'S' this is very helpful to me. I have the Turtle Beach headset and the quality of sound is very good though and would prefer to use them instead of the Oculus sound, my headset also has a microphone, this is the one I use see link:
https://uk.turtlebeach.com/collections/ ... eadset-ps4

Would I be able to just have the headset connected to the PC or do you actually have to plug it into the Oculus to work?

Many thanks in advance.

Nigel.

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

If you connect it to the oculus using the Jack plug socket you will get the full 3d sound effect when looking around
Steve