Ant's Tiger Moth

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Ant's Tiger Moth

Post by JohnWillimas »

Now Has "Pro" Incarnation With Added Goodies

https://www.antsairplanes.com/tigermothpro.html

Looks like a great (payware) upgrade for one of my favorite free planes...

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Ant's Tiger Moth

Post by Paul K »

Ant's freeware Tiger Moth is superb, so this is very welcome. Have you watched the sound effects Youtube that is linked at the bottom of the page ? Very impressive. If and when I start buying P3D add-ons again, this will be top of the list.

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Yess, it's very immersive. It took me about ten minutes of flying the demo to decide to buy it!

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Bought it from Just Flight - no sound at all :dunno:

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

In the in-sim Pilots Handbook (Shift+3) there's a section marked "Sounds" with the option to mute all sounds (top line). It's probably worth checking that if you haven't already done so. I got mine from JF and the sounds in FS-X are fine....

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Cheers John. Will have a look when I get time.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Honestly, first impressions are breath-taking. I cannot believe the level of attention to detail. How many times have I moaned about Payware aircraft (£25 upwards) and what you get/don't get for your money?
Ant's Tiger Moth Pro is £11.99.
This has features I didn't even think possible (like the animated walk-around when you hit CTRL+E). I'm very aware that I sound like an advert, but I can't remember the last time I was so impressed by a new aircraft in FSX. I had a lovely evening flight from Shoreham, along to Brighton, up and back over the downs, and it was the first time in ages I genuinely felt as if I were truly enjoying the sensation of flight.
Anyway, I'll go and have a lie down now. I'll try to give a more sensible and objective review tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Ok not much to add to my previous post except that this has been the best add on aircraft I have bought in years. Who knew 'Shift+3' could make such a difference to my virtual flying?
Being able to do an actual walk-around before flying, real-time wear and tear, engine damage modelling etc and animating the start-up sequence from the pilot/ground crew perspective just makes this such an immersive experience.
If I really had to find a negative comment, perhaps the external textures lack a little finesse, but honestly, it makes no difference to me (I'm really hoping someone talented can rustle up some nice new repaints, personally I'd like to see some non-military schemes).
I've really got back into low and slow VFR flying and the lazy side of me has been catered for with a nice custom GPS. And if you've set up short-cuts to an autopilot, as I have, that works too.
Animations are as complete as they can be for such a small aircraft, both engine cowlings can be lifted, all doors open (including the baggage compartment), and you can even remove the panels around the engine for a complete strip-down if you so wish.
I have to mention the customisations, which are many and detailed to a ridiculously varied amount. For example, you can choose whether you have an Australian or English pitot tube (I had no idea there was a difference), you can decide if you want tail wheel or skid, wheel hub caps or not, even whether you want brakes or no brakes. And all of this is a simple click on the menu within the sim and takes effect immediately.
I have been talking about this sort of thing for years and my only complaint is why isn't this sort of thing just the accepted standard for every addon? I've been very disappointed with several aircraft I've purchased over the last year or so, and I feel I've genuinely wasted my hard-earned money on them. Ant's Tiger Moth Pro is the exact opposite, and again, I can't believe the price. Ironically I would have gladly paid twice as much!
On that note, I'm off now for a little pootle around San Francisco in the old moth now!

Happy flighting everyone! :thumbsup:

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Couldn't agree more but for me the most impressive feature is the in-flight handling. Put some bank on and centralise the stick and it goes on turning. Stop it turning with a little opposite stick pressure. This is how I remember every small plane I ever flew in and very few flightsim versions - so often you have to hold the aircraft into the turn with continual stick. The way Ant has done the sounds is great too (good demonstration here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo1P0RV ... e=youtu.be). I agree on civilian paints, hopefully the paint kit will appear soon.

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Just noticed some more neat options on this. Click on the ASI and you get one of three types, click on the altimeter and you get two alternatives and with the RPM indicator you can set it so that your RPM needle is straight up at your ideal cruise speed... (Of course, this is all in the documentation when you read it but I just happened upon it because.... well, we all know why...)