Bushfires

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Bushfires

Post by Airspeed »

Thoughts are with the folks of New South Wales and Queensland, where bushfires have caused deaths and widespread destruction of natural and man made assets.
Good luck to you all.

NSW:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-13/ ... t/11698322
QLD:
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 53a3g.html

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Bushfires

Post by FlyTexas »

Horrible news. :( I read another article, in the Brisbane Times, concerning the fires.

Mr Rosen tells of how cowpats were blown up by the wind and burst into flames after bushfires passed by.
"Cowpats were being picked up by the wind - and they are on fire - and the wind just tosses it almost one kilometre," he said.
"One of our friends is in the Rural Fire Brigade and he clocked the cowpats at 32km/h caught up in the wind. And they are genuinely on fire." :-O

Brian

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

FlyTexas wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 12:54

Mr Rosen tells of how cowpats were blown up by the wind and burst into flames after bushfires passed by.
"Cowpats were being picked up by the wind - and they are on fire - and the wind just tosses it almost one kilometre," he said.
"One of our friends is in the Rural Fire Brigade and he clocked the cowpats at 32km/h caught up in the wind. And they are genuinely on fire." :-O

Brian
Now that is something I'd genuinely never heard of before.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Now that is something I'd genuinely never heard of before.
Cattle manure is basically made up of digested grass and grain. Cow dung is high in organic materials and rich in nutrients. It contains about 3 percent nitrogen, 2 percent phosphorus, and 1 percent potassium (3-2-1 NPK). In addition, cow manure contains high levels of ammonia and potentially dangerous pathogens.

So I am guessing it is the phosphorus that ignites.

Terrible news about the fires, just hope that no-one else is either killed or seriously injured. I watched a clip of those firefighters driving through blazing trees to help and rescue people, they deserve a medal for putting their lives on the line for others and that goes to the rest of the emergency services involved.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

We were in NSW and Victoria in 2007 when they were having serious fires ( although not I think as serious as these) , and the blue haze from the eucalypts was frightening to see, explaining why the fire can jump perhaps 1/2 a mile at a time . We pray for rain for the affected areas, and that the damage will not be as catastrophic in the next few weeks

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

Sad to say another person has lost his life and the count of homes lost is over 300. As so often the police have begun arresting arsonists, including some who impersonate and join the firefighters, to the point of having the full gear to wear. The TV news has just announced the arrest of a 51 year old caught in the act of setting fires. Sometimes you just can't shake your head hard enough.

Somewhat predictably the politicians are in a finger pointing spin, declaring that there's no climate problem and generally covering their bottom - the one and only thing they're any good at.

:help: Whatever your faith may be, a prayer for sh1tloads of rain and hope for the victims would be appreciated. This thing is getting beyond the control of man now.

Paul
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Impersonating a fire fighter to set fires? What is wrong with the human race? I'm ashamed to be on the same planet sometimes, I really am.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

There was a bit in one of the papers here that said they suspect 30% of these fires are set deliberately although they can only prove about 13% are.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Whilst troubles continue to our North, South Australia has had its share, with more properties damaged or destroyed over the past two days.
Here in Victoria, there was a Statewide Total Fire Ban, and two zones classed as "Code Red", aka "Catastrophic" up North.
Temperatures high 30s/low 40s and wind around 100kmh for a while. I have the "Vic Emergency" app on my phone, and it has hardly stopped sounding the alert in my 10km radius watch zone; trees down, building damage.
Our family had a direct taste, a 15 metre branch popped off a gum tree next door. It dropped onto the top of a star picket, driving it another 40cm into the ground; luckily, there were tree loppers working near it, they cut it up, and we chucked the bits back. The wire fence was squashed down near the ground, but sprang back once the timber was removed. I'll use the post lifter to reinstate the star picket to correct height, and the fence strainer to re-tension the wire. Those gums tend to drop branches with hardly a sound, giving them the nickname of "widowmaker". Luckily, the ponies were not seeking shade there at the time; both were in their shed.
Meanwhile, one of our daughter's sheds was crushed under a falling pine branch. The State Emergency Service responded and sliced it up and the neighbours took most of it back to their side. They have to come back to finish later.

I don't know if you've heard, but Israel Folau, was sacked from The Wallabies rugby team for posting on line comments about gay people.
They played a recording of a sermon by him, in which he said that the bushfires are God's retribution because our government passed same sex marriage laws.

In a strange coincidence:
https://doublebaytoday.com/breaking-isr ... -bushfire/