Blackburn Skua

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Blackburn Skua

Post by Airspeed »

Sorry about that, Dave. I thought that the b&w were from original sources. :$ Though I saw that it was from a museum, I did not see a mention of it being a mock up.

Keith, sorry to hear about your tremor. :( You may have already looked into this, but if not:
https://ds.gpii.net/learn/accessibility ... -filtering

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Mike - that colour photo is of a rebuilt cockpit of the Skua which crash-landed on a Norwegian frozen lake - the crew then set fire to the cockpit. The aircraft remains are undergoing a lengthy restoration at Bodo aircraft museum, Norway. This cockpit has been shown at various museumns including the F.A.A at Yeovilton.
There is some good information on the Skua (and other aircraft) at https://dingeraviation.net including what I think is b/w pic of the real cockpit.
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Mike, Thank you for that link, I will try it.
I was diagnosed back in 2013 to have Parkinsons but then it was only affecting my left arm. Sleep at night can be a problem & I am trying to keep medication to the minimum as there isn't much else that can be done on the current strength, although there might be a slow release slightly stronger version. My son says CBD oil can delay effects but there have not been any controlled trials done - mind you neither have exercise & balance classes which I go to each week.
Keith

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Dave,

Is this any use? https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7wtkr245ghas ... 0.jpg?dl=0

It's from Wings of the Navy by Winkle Brown. I can send you the rest of the pages if you think it might be useful.

Skippy

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Brilliant Skippy -just what I needed! If ther'e are any more shots/drawings of the interior then please send them.
Dave M(oly)

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Dave & SkippyBing, I think those flaps that traversed backwards as they rotated were called 'Zap Flaps' & interesting to note that they stopped trim change.
What a smashing lot of info there Dave - where does one stop!!!
Keith
Edit, googling zap flap gives a bad description in some headings, look at Flight Global though for 27 July 1933, there is a good technical report there. K

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Even better Skippy - no excuses now for not getting it right! :agree:
Yes Keith, those flaps were also dive brakes in the position shown.
Dave M(oly)