Honeycomb Yoke.....My Impression.

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Re: Honeycomb Yoke.....My Impression.

Post by PaulC »

We'll be treading on egg shells when it comes to grammar and spelling now...

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

We'll have to be more eggsact in the composition of our prose. Although there'll have to be the usual eggsemption for non-native English speakers.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel H-J... why do all your threads go this way ? :lol:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

:dunno:

:lol: :lol:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Paul K wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 17:34
Nigel H-J... why do all your threads go this way ? :lol:
So he can have us all in stitches.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

So, Nigel...generally speaking, value for money ? How is the double desk-clamp arrangement, or are you using their micro-suction mat thing ?
Paul, if you do happen by chance to come onto this I am using the micro-suction pad, it works really well and now using it as apposed to the clamps which meant that I had to leave the drawer slightly open. With the suction pad there is no movement of the yoke at all.

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Yep, Nigel - keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks for the info on the suction mat. That was the the thing that raised the most eyebrows when the yoke was announced, I think. People are so used to clamps. What sort of desk surface is it on - smooth, or something textured or with a noticeable wood grain ?

Still happy with the yoke over all ?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, :hello: I have the micro suction pad and yoke on a pine desk which is of a smooth surface, I was a bit unsure of whether the suction pad would hold onto the surface but now it is being used all the time.

The yoke is brilliant, there are no jerks when using pitch as there were when I used the Logitech 3D, though wish there was a bit more of tension in roll but apart from that I am very happy with it.

Have just downloaded a free video capture (OBS Broadcaster Software) have tried it and it is very very good so will hopefully tomorrow do a quick video showing what it is like using the Honeycomb Yoke to give you some idea.

For the video software you can get it here, highly recommend it and well worth getting even if you only use it occasionally : https://obsproject.com/

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Sounds very good, Nigel. From what I'm reading on the various flight sim sites, Honeycomb yoke sales seem to be off to a strong start.
Nigel H-J wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 20:43
For the video software you can get it here, highly recommend it and well worth getting even if you only use it occasionally : https://obsproject.com/
I shall look into that. :thumbsup:

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

The new stick of joy arrived today and I had a sneaky play :hide:

If you've seen the reviews then you'll not be surprised to hear that this is a good, well-built, solid joystick that doesn't move in use. I take a medium sized glove and the joystick fits me well. I suspect that if you've got small hands then you may struggle. And also large hands but for an entirely different reason, which I'll go into below.

Handedness - this is very much a right-hander's joystick, not at all suitable for left-hand use.

Stick size and comfort - good for medium sized hands and also large hands, may be a problem for those with small hands.

Button placement - no problem with reach but buttons a bit cramped on the front face of the base, you have to reach under your flying hand to get at those and given there's a potential of 8 functions you may find yourself doing more of this than you would think. The top button (single action) and trigger are easy to reach.

Hat switch - this is a four way hat switch, which is a touch disappointing when coming from an eight way; however the biggest flaw of the hat switch is that the right-hand side is too close to the joystick body and, if used as intended, you find that the body gets in the way of the thumb position. The way around that is to use the left-hand edge of the switch to move it to the right. Not ideal but you do get used to it but those with smaller or larger hands may find the compromise uncomfortable.

Throttle - on the small side but a good smooth action with a reasonable degree of resistance (as you would want it).

Pitch, roll and yaw response - very good, possibly the highlight of this stick. Smooth and with an excellent but unobtrusive return to centre. Makes for good stability in flight.

Button response - good positive action, no dramas.

Overall impression - 7 out of 10. Overall a good joystick but let down by a glaring ergonomic error and other ergonomic compromises due to the shape of the base and position of the buttons. I suspect the problem with the hat switch is the design intent of recreating a WWII KG12 stick. Would I have bought this if I had known about the problem with the hat switch? Probably not and it's a shame that over reviewers haven't highlighted this feature of the stick.