VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Canberra Man
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Non-British aircraft

Post by Canberra Man »

HI John.
Are you any relation to the John Payne on 617 Squadron in the fifties. I believe he settled in Lincolnshire.

Ken

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Ken

No I'm afraid not.

Regards

John

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

Just had a flash of a memory- British Midland used to fly DC-9s didn't they?

I don't suppose we could buy one or two could we? I'd be happy to research the routes- I know for one they used to have the Leeds Bradford- Heathrow one. Not sure if any of you have the CoolSky DC-9 but its a joy and would be nice to log hours for a VA in it.

I get a cockpit flight as an Air Cadet back in the 1990's on that route, but it was a Fokker 100 by then! I'm not that old!!

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Sounds a good idea Paul. I'm all in favour of added variety. Lets see what others think. Heathrow looks to have been the main hub. Don't know if your routes will reflect that. Depends where we base the aircraft. I've always had a soft spot for the Dc 9. My very first flight was Manchester to Schiphol in a KLM Dc9 back in '74
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Yep, BM did Diamond Service from Heathrow to(I think) all of the same destinations as the BA Super Shuttle’s.
Belfast (Aldergrove), Glasgow, Edinburgh I’m pretty sure about. Not sure about Newcastle, Manchester though.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

LHR- Liverpool was quite well used for a period in the 1980s. They started with a DC9-10 which from recollection was Finnish registered, and moved on to very smart DC9-30s in the later very blue livery. The route had been taken over from Cambrian, which had used Viscounts and then 1-11 , and later went back to Manx who used Saab 340s

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

I was an ATCO at Glasgow when they were introduced on the LHR route.

They were a nightmare, climbed so fast off the runway they had to do two frequency changes in about twenty seconds, and if they didn't get further climb clearance (initial clearance 6,000') by the time they were passing 3,500' they were scraping luggage off the ceiling trying to level off.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I think adding some DC-9's would be a good idea, just need to find some routes for them.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

Great,

Let me do a bit of research!

Paul

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

Ok,

British Midland operated DC9s from 1978 until as late as 1996. I've found a list of destinations for 1996, but can't get anything earlier. It appears the bases were Heathrow and East Midlands with one at Edinburgh or Glasgow which served those two cities and Copenhagen.

The rest seem to be return flights with the exception of Birmingham and Leeds which must have been intermediate sectors, i.e. LHR-LBA- then Paris (not sure which one) LBA-LHR.

Unless anyone knows where else we can get details to make the routes more accurate with times etc, I'm happy to throw a schedule together.

How many DC9-30s can we buy?! :worried:

EDIT if we're happy to service all the routes without historical timing accuracy, we'll need 7 aircraft. 5 if we just want the routes from Heathrow.

Paul