Minimum Runway Distance For Trident Please

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Minimum Runway Distance For Trident Please

Post by Aharon »

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

What is minimum runway distance for landing and take off for Trident please assuming 100 percent passenger load factor (no no not not not rugby player passengers), 100 percent luggage load factor, and 50 percent fuel load factor or whatever is enough fuel load for 90 minute or 450 nautical mile flight, please??

Thanks,

Aharon

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Re: Minimum Runway Distance For Trident Please

Post by adysmith »

Are you thinking of any airport in particular, and is it a Trident 2 or 3?

They operated several times a day out of Glasgow with 2658 metres and had runway to spare.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

adysmith wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 08:13
Are you thinking of any airport in particular, and is it a Trident 2 or 3?
EGJJ Jersey airport please and both Trident 2 and Trident 3 please

Regards,

Aharon

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Fully loaded, not a chance. you cannot even reach V1 in the runway length available.

Would need some experimenting to determine how light either needs to be to take off from that runway.

I might play around later tonight and see what I can do at light weights.
ImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Tried the T2 at very light weight, payload only 250 Kg, fuel 4,000Kg - Aircraft gross weight 41351 Kg, Water Meth injection ON.

Needed a runway of 1,600 metres.
T3 at similar load would need slightly more as the empty weight is more (same load gross weight is 45865Kg) and V1 is 9 knots faster.
My test with the T3 was not representative as the boost engine continued to provide take off power so it didn't stop properly when I rejected take off.

Distance figures are based on distance to accelerate to V1 and then stop using only brakes (no reverse thrust)
If it can accelerate/stop in that distance then it can take off in that distance.
ImageImage

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Thanks for answer Adrian and nice to meet you here on the CBFS forums. First time I see official fleet manager of CBFS forums right here.

Regards,

Aharon

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Aharon ,
We used to operate to ABZ [ Aberdeen ] from LHR . I've been to ABZ in T1s , 2s , and 3s . The 1e fleet were also regulars .
ABZ then was 1829m long [ 6000 ft , standard RAF rwy length ]. Don't think we had a problem getting out , likewise EDI's [ Edinburgh ] North South Rwy [ before East/West was built ] was 1829m . Getting in with only a Southerly ILS on both ; could be a problem in a Summer time 'Haar [ North Sea raised up fog , too low to circle to North Rwy ] with often a North wind . Thus a tailwind ... brief was min speed , 'FULL reverse in the flare , and speedbrakes out immediately on touchdown , max brakes ...
A few Trid. nosewheels have ended up in the adjoining cabbage patch , or needed a tug to get you off the Rwy . The white runway markings did not help as they are always slippery and brakes won't help ..
JER [ Jersey ] was served regularly but infrequently from LHR . Mainly as a standin for a broken Viscount / 111 / 732. If I remember it was 1775m long .... Bit short but doable given an headwind ; and only done in a T2 /1e . [ more thrust/wt ].
Think the 2s,1es, 3s. had a greater choice of flap selection for use on a short rwy. ?
The T3's boost engine was great , about an half a Spey in thrust ; so improved t/o performance . Did not change landing of course . T3 being heavier landing perf. was worse than 1/2s. If boost went u/s , it could be a problem .
Needed it in GLA [ Glasgow ] on a snow contaminated rwy. Damn thing broke , so we had to sit in 'sin bin' with 11000 rpm on for an hour or more to burn off to non-boost take off weight . Which made our diversion options when arriving in very snowy LHR rather limited to say the least .

Hope that helps .

rgds dave f.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

PS , JER has also seen Tristars and 757s in on rescue flights . Channel Isles often go out in fog , so a Tristar went down to pick up 3 days worth of pax when fog cleared .
Ady , last Trid was in Dec 1985 ; so brain gone . But I reckon for a V1 stop case , the boost must have shut down automatically . Or P3 hit a Big Red button Rapidly !

rgds dave f.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Dfarrow,

Thanks for cool answers on Tridents!!!!! Never knew that Tristars could use Jersey Airport!!!! Were you a real world pilot of Tridents??

Is there any physical appearance difference between TR1, TR2, and TR3 please?

Regards,

Aharon

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Aharon , 'fraid so , BEA and BA for 36 yrs . Last flew with Capt Peter McClelland [ of this 'parish' ] 13/8/85 LHR -EDI -LHR T3 as one of his F/Os . Thus Trids for 12 yrs , including some layoffs. Had my 21st b'day in Tel Aviv line training on a T2.
I was really lucky and privileged to get a cadetship and do what I loved for all this time , and still 'destructing in Wessex skies . Hoping to make 1/2 a century airborne , but not there yet .
T1s had a drooped leading edge flap , and 1 nose gear door did not close with gear down .
T2s had a leading edge slat , and both nose gear doors closed with gear down ; and more powerful Speys .
T3s longer fuselage , boost engine fitted where the lower part of the rudder would have been , thus less cross wind ability .
This all comes with a warning , that memory is fallible .

Just look at Rick's fantastic Trid models , they show them as they really were .

rgds dave f.