Monitors Monitors Monitors

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Monitors Monitors Monitors

Post by TSR2 »

Hi guys,

I've a single 27" Full HD monitor which works well. But I'm wondering what you guys are using. Ive no real space for a multi monitor setup, so a 27" looks like the way to go. Now do I go for a 2K monitor or a 4K monitor. Do i go for the new Samsung designed QLED. Do I go for one of these 144Hz refresh rate ones. I've no idea. I did have a 4K monitor a few years ago, but while Widows does scaling well (so that the text etc is bigger and readable) many programs don't. I'm curious to see what people are using and what there thoughts are / rational is.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Re: Monitors Monitors Monitors

Post by Buggyman »

Like you I'm running 27" monitor (Samsung) and I have been thinking; would a curved screen work with a flight sim or would it distort the images?

Either way, I am going to change sometime soon as I already have a volunteer to take my current unit (SWMBO) and age and eyesight dictates a move for both of us. So I will watch this topic with great interest.

ATB

Allan

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

FWIW, I have a Sony 32” HDTV which I connect to my PC through a standard HDMI-HDMI cable or a Lightning-HDMI cable depending upon which PC I am using. Results are perfect at a viewing distance of about 4’, except for some financial data pages with small font sizes which I have to enlarge in my browser to 125%.

HTH,
Ro
;)

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I use a 25" 2K monitor.

I wanted 2K for the extra it would give me when editing photos but colour accuracy was also important. Some monitors lack on that front but other than Flight Sim, I'm not sure what your uses are?

My setup is also a little different in that I used to use a 17" laptop. Being a gaming laptop, it had quite large bezels so I thought that if I get a normal PC and buy a monitor with slim bezels, it'll only be slightly larger than the laptop.
I therefore went from having a 17" laptop on the arm of the sofa, to a 25" slim bezel monitor sat on a fancy Ikea chopping board on the arm of the sofa with the PC itself tucked round the back :cheers:
Total width gain was only 10cm compared to the laptop.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi CB, I was thinking 2K too. What type of monitor is it you have?

ImageImageImage

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

TSR2 wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 10:33
Hi CB, I was thinking 2K too. What type of monitor is it you have?
Hi mate,

It's an Acer H257HU. I wanted 2K, very good colour accuracy, high brightness and an IPS panel. The fact that mine also offers small (but surprisingly good) speakers built in, helps my laptop replacement setup.

Even with the Acer panel, I fancied other screens to show various bits when flying. I therefore use my Android phone with XPlanePFD running and my Android tablet setup as a 2nd Windows screen via WiFi using Duet Display.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

I'm currently considering a 2k high refresh rate monitor with the high refresh rate to prevent screen tearing. Mind you considering is probably as far as it's going to get until the back end of the year; I've already blown SWMBO tolerance for more PC stuff for the time being.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Morning, I've ordered a Dell 32" 2k 165Hz display from Currys (all the hottest deals 😎). It's a Freesync monitor works well with G Sync apparently. Was due to arrive on Friday but now who knows? Deliveries still being made but things are bound to slow down or pause for a while.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

The new monitor - a Dell S3220DGF - arrived this morning. Not at all expected as my original order had been cancelled due to Currys store closures so I reordered, on Tuesday, for a home delivery. Currys website said 5 to 10 working days for delivery, which given the circumstances was fine. Anyway 2 working days later here it is.

I haven't played with the settings too much except that I can confirm that G Sync compatibility is fine - no screen tearing at all. The screen has a fairly gentle curve so gives the illusion of being better immersed in the flight sim.

It's a VA panel but I've no arguments with colour accuracy and responsiveness is very good. An IPS panel equivalent is another £300 and as good as IPS panels are they're not worth the extra over this monitor.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

In the end I opted for the LG 34WL750-B. I wanted IPS as colour depth was important. Refresh rate is 60Hz and although FreeSync support is built in, it works fine with G-Sync in compatibility mode. It also features a nice trick where you can have two different sources displayed on the screen at the same time. I’m pretty happy with it. Good solid fully adjustable stand too.

ImageImageImage