What's your favourite flightsim?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

What's your favourite flightsim?

Post by DogTailRed2 »

The last ten years has seen me loosing, re-gaining and then loosing my flightsim faith ( I need salvation :lol: ).
With the passing of FSX my flight simming has slowly diminished and I haven't really flown for a few years. I toyed with PrePar3D V4 then got side tracked with VR. So I have mostly been playing VR games like HL Alyx. But now there are a few new kids on the block and I'm getting back into simming again.

So, which is your favourite flight sim?

PrePar3Dv4
PrePar3DFv4.5
PrePar3Dv5
XPlane 11
MSFS2020 (I know this is not out so this is a speculative want)
DCS ? It's combat. Not sure about this one?

I personally can't indulge in XPlane. I've tried a few of the earlier versions but MSFS was always better. I've not tried the latest versions.
MSFS looks great but I have a lot of detailed scenery for FSX so I'm not sure it will be for me? I like Warbirds and Duxford.
PrePar3Dv5 is far too early to concider and is buggy.
DCS is a big learning curve.
So I'm stuck with PrePAR3Dv4 for the moment, Gen-X, Duxford and VFR London in VR. Slow but sure.

Just wondered what everyone is flying and why?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: What's your favourite flightsim?

Post by Nigel H-J »

I personally can't indulge in XPlane. I've tried a few of the earlier versions but MSFS was always better. I've not tried the latest versions.
You should download the X-Plane 11 demo and give it a try, having said that and better still, watch X-Plane 11 + on YouTube with True Earth installed so much better now and with Vulcan in public Beta when released, it's going to improve X-Plane significantly.

I loved FSX but after flying in X Plane will never go back to it.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

I agree with Nigel . Dynamically speaking , X-Plane is superior in so many ways to FS, although it takes a bit more getting used to because it has a very much more professional feel to it than FS ever did . It is also rather more demanding in terms of control skilss: by and large it is not a "point and squirt" exercise. The downside is that there is not so much addon freeware for it as for FS

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

DCS has a month's free trial going where you can download and try out most of their payware add-ons for free. I've tried out the Gazelle, Mig-21, I-16 Rata, and both versions of the FW-190. Next will be the rest of the WW2 stuff, then maybe the F/A 18. If you're a DCS owner, don't miss this event.

Next to that, I have X-Plane 11, which I'm getting back into. I was holding on to P3Dv4.5, but deleted it a few days ago.True Earth UK runs better in X-plane, and the night lighting is vastly superior, so I'll stick with it at least until MSFS2020 comes out. I also have Rise of Flight installed, which doesn't get even a fraction of the attention it deserves.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

P3d v4.5 and v5, DCS and Il2 BoS are the only ones installed at the moment. I do own X-plane 11 but can't get on with it at all, just don't like it. :lol:
Problem with DCS is I don't use it often enough so when I do fire it up I can't remember how to fly anything!
P3d v4.5 is my favourite at the moment. It's like a comfortable pair of old underpants. V5 will probably replace 4.5 when the main bugs are ironed out but it's not quite there yet.
Interested to see what MSFS brings when it's released.
Dave G.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

At the moment I have P3d 4.5 and P3d 5, X-Plane 11, Aero Fly FS2 and Flight Sim World installed. I have never really 'got into' Aero Fly FS2 and Flight Sim World but every so often I load them up and have half an hour or so.

As for X-Plane 11 - I have tried, really I have over and over again, I even installed True Earth but we are not compatible. I just cannot get to a position where I am enjoying a flight so it sits there brooding in the corner waiting for heavens knows what - deleting? Another try? It may be that X-Plane is too realistic - too serious? Not entertaining but more like work :dunno:

I have flown P3d 5 exclusively since it came out, with ORBX installed it is as good as you can get for me although FS2020 could be a contender for my plastic and flying hours when it hits the shops.

ATB

Allan

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Definitely X-Plane 11. It's like flying a next generation sim when compared to FSX and to me, P3D is just a polished version of FSX and is therefore dated and expensive.
When P3D v5 was announced, I thought the screenshots actually looked very good, but having watched a few YouTube videos of it, it just looks like... you guessed it, an enhanced FSX.

With regards to FS2020, I'm not overly excited about it.

I must say, moving to X-Plane does take some getting used to. I'd used Microsoft Flight Sim since FS98 and was used to the menus, the buttons etc and of course, X-Plane is totally different.
I initially used a free app on my phone which simply listed the most common key commands within X-Plane, in order to get to grips with it.
There are more and more aircraft being made for X-Plane and once Vulkan is fully implemented, it'll be good to see what follows.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

DaveG wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 20:15
Problem with DCS is I don't use it often enough so when I do fire it up I can't remember how to fly anything!
:lol: :lol: Yes, it is a bit that way isn't it. Even with the Mig-15, which I think is one of the best aircraft ever built for any flight sim, I still have to dig out the manual to remind myself where everything is and how to start it. I bought the A-10C a while back, and the systems are beyond me. By the time I get to the foot of the page in the manual, I've forgotten what was at the top. That's where this month of free trials is so useful. I reckon at a push I can do something with the Mig-19 and Mig-21, as their systems are 1950s basic. I'll give the F/A-18 a go, but I think its complexity will defeat me. Might be nice for the forthcoming Super Carrier module though.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Still on FSX and still enjoying it.

It will run FSLabs Concorde, OK P3D V3 will do that but I am not splashing out on an old sim just for the sake of it.

P3D V4 will not run Concorde (not been converted to 64 bit yet) so no way I am getting that until Concorde is ready for it; same for MSFS2020
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I don't do much flying these days. The key thing is what do you enjoy, and how much time have you got. The sim I enjoyed most at the time was actually FS9. Everything was exciting back then and there were lots of new, brilliant British classics. Stuff that didn't come over particularly well to FSX let alone P3D was lost.

FSX is probably the one I enjoy most now... its like a little snapshot in time with the ScotFlight anf the GenX stuff I love it and most of the old aircraft from FS9 work well. I like being able to fly VFR or if I'm flying IFR, be able to see roads etc as they really are from 10,000 feet. I like being able to spot airfields that aren't in use, or the remnants of them from decades ago. You cant do that with Orbx. Its great at what it is, but it isn't real (for me).

P3D4v5 - Is technically the best, Its far superior than the other two. I can still use my GenX scenery, Its smooth, the water is great, its really good...
But even fewer of the aircraft I like have come over. I do enjoy it, I like that its reliable, fast, stable (mostly). But when you go to the aircraft selection to fly something and then go... "ah... that was in FSX" it takes the shine off it.

Every time I've tried XPlane over the years, I've hated it... I just don't get on with it... yes, its probably very good, but at the moment I simply don't have the time to start learning something new from the ground up. When the kids are grown up and away, who knows, but for now, I know what i know and it means in the little time I get I can jump into one of the sims and have a spin without spending an hour trying to get my head around it.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage