25 Years of BEA.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

25 Years of BEA.

Post by Nigel H-J »

If you have a spare 21 minutes this is an excellent documentary and hopefully one that Peter will also enjoy and recognise some former colleagues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhujXlunAoI

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Re: 25 Years of BEA.

Post by Scorpius »

Where would we be without Patrick Allen?

Nev

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Really enjoyed that, as did the girls! They couldn’t believe the good you used to get on flights 😊
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Thanks Nigel...That took me back a bit!...It seems so long ago!

With my RAF 12 years added to my Airline time, I flew for a third of a Century and this year I will have been retired for third of a Century.

I remembered very senior Captain Ron Gillman, but I never actually flew with him...There were the odd faces that rang a bell!

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

I really enjoyed that, but must admit that it also made me a bit sad...

When that film was released, I doubt any of us would have been able to imagine that in a not too distant future, British-built aircraft would only be found in museums... The sky certainly was an interesting place back then... unlike the homogenised world today of endless Boeings and Airbuses...

Mark

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Nigel...That took me back a bit!...It seems so long ago!
I can well imagine that Peter, it is also nearly fifty years since I started gliding and some powered flying (when I could afford it) :lol: Still remember the names and faces of some of the club members but apart from that......time certainly has passed by very quickly when I think back to the 1970's! :((
I really enjoyed that, but must admit that it also made me a bit sad...

When that film was released, I doubt any of us would have been able to imagine that in a not too distant future, British-built aircraft would only be found in museums... The sky certainly was an interesting place back then... unlike the homogenised world today of endless Boeings and Airbuses...
My sentiments also Mark, I seem to remember my father taking me down to an airport somewhere to watch the aircraft, I could have only been around 7 or 8 years old but looking down from our viewing area I can still recall just staring at these monstrous wings that held four piston engines. Only wish I could remember more of that visit.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Guys , Think that the f/o working the panel [ P3 ] was Graham Blackman , and the skipper being briefed by the metman was Ross Pleasance , Queens Commendation for valuable servise in the air .
Ron Gillman DFC , DFM , was the first skipper , and had written ''The Shiphunters'' about his time flying Blenheims out of Malta .

rgds dave f.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

dfarrow wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 18:15
Guys , Think that the f/o working the panel [ P3 ] was Graham Blackman , and the skipper being briefed by the metman was Ross Pleasance , Queens Commendation for valuable servise in the air .
Ron Gillman DFC , DFM , was the first skipper , and had written ''The Shiphunters'' about his time flying Blenheims out of Malta .

rgds dave f.
I thought I recognised the name. Wasn't he in the same unit as Ivor Broom?
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Simon , just looked in the epilogue . Yes , Air Marshall Ivor Broom was on 107 Sqn with Ron Gillman .

rgds dave f.