P3D or X Plane

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: P3D or X Plane

Post by TSR2 »

David Maltby’s Comet, VC10, and Ricks Vanguard won’t work without converting them, and that requires a bit of skill. Even the Just Flight VC10 doesn’t work in P3D5 yet natively
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

P3D or x-plane is a bit of a religious question, but I am firmly in the P3D camp, up till v3 it was like FSX but with all the bugs fixed but V4 and V5 took it to another level without removing that I found familiar.

I did find using the JF VC-10 that while the new pro version made V5 CTD, the earlier non pro version worked fine. Too bad they don’t sell that version but if you bought it you can still download it.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Ben, just a bit of a diversion from this thread but I am sure that you had once written that with the forthcoming MS2020 it may be possible to use FSX Aircraft into MS2020.

If this is going to be the case MS took back the rights to FSX from Dovetail and there are some improvements being made to the FSX Platform (please correct me if I'm wrong) but only on the Steam Version and not on the disc version, so if FSX Aircraft can at some point be merged into MS2020 I have an awful feeling it might only be through the Steam FSX and not the standalone version which many of us have. Otherwise why would MS be bothered with a product that has gone past its sell by date even though there are many users who remain as faithful to FSX as do those with FS9! :dunno:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

The key thing I said was "May."

I'm not sure what you mean by "Merged."

Overly simplifying it, Modelers will use a modelling tool like Gmax, 3DSMax or Blender etc to "Build" models. The output of that is a 3D model, but in order to make the model work in any SIM, it will have to be put through the modelling tool in the Software Development kit (SDK). every version of the SIM had its own version of the SDK. In FS9, FSX, P3d its a program called XtoMDL - (there are also other SDK tools for other areas such as scenery, traffic etc). This makes the 3D model work within the respective SIM.

The most recent versions of the SDK will have the latest tweaks, but aren't backward compatible (usually). P3D3 for example would be able to understand models that had been created with FS9, FSX, P3D1, P3D2 and P3D3 versions of the SDK. In P3D4, it didn't really understand some of the bits from aircraft that had been built with the FS9 XtoMDL. In P3D5 it seems to have trouble with some bits of the SDK's pre P3D1.

Now if you have the original 3D model, it may be that you can run that through whatever the new SDK for FS2020 will be called and your model will work in FS2020. If we're really lucky it may be that the original models will just work, and we need to convert textures or something relatively simple. But at this stage, we just don't know.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

There is hope for FSX native aircraft but not sure they will make it a priority. I did a couple experiments after getting the MSFS alpha with FSX native aircraft. I was able to get them to fly but none of the gauges worked, have not tried with the most recent version so it could go either way.

I am a bit disappointed in its usability, so while the eye candy is nice, there is no guarantee it will be a success. There is still too strong a chance they will go down the FSW/MS flight path and muck it all up.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

I know you're sworn to secrecy Joe, But I wonder how aircraft with 64 bit gauges work?
Aka P3d v4-5 native
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I'm sure P3d native aircraft won't work. The P3d MDL format and 64bit gauges are specific to P3d, and I don't see ms supporting a format from a competing sim.
Dave G.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hmm Maybe youre right. But I cant see PMDG offering a free upgrade route for their P3d v4 737 ngx u to ms 2020, (when it comes out) if there was that much work involved. :dunno:
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

If they are lucky the source models and code may not need much modifying, but it would still need to be compiled with the MSFS SDK.
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I'm not sure what you mean by "Merged."
So sorry, very bad use of grammar old boy :lol: :lol: What I really mean't was being able to load FSX a/c directly into MS2020 possibly via FSX Aircraft Selection Menu.

From what I am being able to work out is that FSX Aircraft probably will not work with MS2020 as FSX a/c were designed in 32bit application? *-)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.