HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO VC-10 AIRCRAFT!!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO VC-10 AIRCRAFT!!

Post by Aharon »

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Today is VC-10 aircraft birthday!!! :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone:

Regards,

Aharon

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO VC-10 AIRCRAFT!!

Post by 511Flyer »

In 1960, I was working in the VC10 wing shop at Brooklands. Although I don't think we called it Brooklands back then.

:dunno:

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Happy Birthday VC10. :cheers: Wish I could've flown on you. :(

Brian

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

My first ever flight in any aircraft was a BUA VC-10 air trooping flight to Aden in 1966. A year later I flew back to the UK in a BUA Britannia which was another lovely aircraft but oh so different. My last ever flight whilst in Army service was in a VC-10 from Gutersloh to Brize in 1988. Lovely aircraft, one of my favourites in the flight sim world too.

In retirement I saw - and heard - VC-10s on a regular basis as squadrons deployed to APCs and other exercises from RAF Leeming which was at the foot of my garden. Also saw the last lightning flight there too when the last 3 in use by Boscombe went on a round robin tour before being grounded.

Happy days.

Allan

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I’m in the middle of Lance Cole’s book “VC10 Icon of the Skies” at the moment. In all honesty, I can’t recommend it, but the VC10 is such an important and interesting aircraft that I might search out a better history of her. Many Happy Returns, Lady.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I have wonderful memories of the VC10 flying directly over my home as it turned short finals for RAF Waddington. Never got tired of watching her. At least there are still some of the VC10's situated around the country with some being kept in 'live' condition for taxis runs.

Now I wonder what other RAF/Civil Aircraft that are presently flying that will eventually retire to a museum and be looked upon in the same light as the Vulcan, Victor, Lightning, VC10 etc.?

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

Paul K wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 22:10
... I might search out a better history of her.
Several options here, but more importantly, there are more titles on the way... : https://www.vc10.net/Misc/sources.html
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I have both of these...

Silent, Swift, Superb: The Story of the Vickers VC10 and

Vickers VC10: AEW, Pofflers and Other Unbuilt Variants: Project Tech Profile

Both are excellent IMHO, the second is quite thin, but lots of really interesting stuff about development and proposals that didn’t make it.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Archer wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 11:58
Paul K wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 22:10
... I might search out a better history of her.
Several options here, but more importantly, there are more titles on the way... : https://www.vc10.net/Misc/sources.html
Excellent,thank you! I've just about given up on Lance Cole's book, something which I hate doing with any book.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

The problem is that most of the titles are out of print, including Lance Cole’s earlier title and both of Scott Henderson’s books. That makes the Haynes manual the best option right now, unless you’re willing to wait a few months. Or you’ll have to pay a lot of money for a secondhand one...
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!