Childhood.....

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Childhood.....

Post by Filonian »

When I grew up 0n Hawkswood/Ireland Wood Estates, I walked to school. Our tea time was at a regular time and we all sat down at a table and used our knives and forks correctly.

Eating out was not heard of, we only received toys on our birthdays and at Christmas 🙄.

Fast food was a bag of chips and having a bottle of Ben Shaws pop from the shop was a real treat.

You took your school clothes off as soon as you got home and put on your 'playing out' clothes. - children looked like children, we didnt pout, wear makeup or have anxiety.

There was no taking or picking you up in the car, you walked or got the bus!

No house phone, if we needed to contact someone,rarely, it was a walk to the closest phone box with a pocket full of pennies.

We didn’t have Cable, Sky or Netflix, we had only 2 channels to watch.😁

We played Tin can squat, British Bull Dog, Rounders, Hide & Seek, Tig, Kerby, Football, made mud pies and Rode Bikes 😁

Staying in the house was a PUNISHMENT and the only thing we knew about "bored" was --- "You better find something to do before I find it for you!"

We ate what mum made for dinner or we ate nothing at all,. If we rushed our tea we weren't allowed to go back out and if we didn't eat it we weren't allowed back out either 😅

Bottled water was not a thing; we drank from the tap.

We watched cartoons on Saturday mornings, and rode our bikes for hours and ran around.
We weren't AFRAID OF ANYTHING. We played till dark... sunset was our alarm.

If someone had a fight, that's what it was and we were friends again a week later, if not SOONER.

We watched our MOUTHS around our elders because ALL of our aunts, uncles, grandpas, grandmas, AND our parents' best friends were all extensions of our PARENTS and you didn't want them telling your parents if you misbehaved! Or they would give you something to cry about. Everyone had respect. I still dont argue with old people and always give up my seat 😊

Mobiles not invented 🤣🤣🤣 and did my research by renting books from the library or he encyclopedias in the cupboard. There was no internet and no Google! 😮

These were the good days. So many kids today will never know how it feels to be a real kid 😁 I loved my childhood and all the mates I hung around with. Good Times 🤓

Copy and paste / amend if this was your childhood😊 made me smile in so many ways!

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Childhood.....

Post by Nigel H-J »

Graham, that was as close as you could get from my childhood days.

There are amendments to be made and that was, if my parents were having a dinner party for my father's colleagues then I would have to say good evening sir/madam then disappear and be very quiet whilst they were in the dinning room and when they went I had to again attend to say goodbye. My father was Sales Director with ICI and there were a number of times the big bosses would come to our house. So that saying of children should be seen and not heard was very true in my younger days. :-#

Fish and Chips were a once in a while treat and really enjoyed the smell of chips and vinegar.

Saturday mornings were spent at the ABC Cinema in Sherwood Nottingham where we would all shout at the bad guys and cheer the goodies and then join in singing songs whilst the words were pointed out on the screen by a dot.

Could never go out in the rain to play! :((

Used to go out with friends train spotting over the entrance to a long tunnel and seeing who could lean over the longest before the smoke from the steam engine overpowered us! :lol: Or else go out car spotting and writing down all the registration numbers and type of car that past us.

When living in Wales and before my 4th Birthday I used to walk with a friend about a mile to Mr Lewis's Farm and helped with collecting eggs, then Mr Lewis used to give us both a ride back on the tractor by sitting us on the wheel arches (no 'ealth and safety in those days). :lol:

Always had to be in at a certain time at night.............or else!!!!!!!!!! :worried:

Always hated it when my parents asked to see my school report!! :hide:

Always raised my school cap when passing one of my parents lady friends.

At school we had to stand for the teachers and during assembly we were sat down on the wooden floor and some kid let out a large fart which echoed round the room and I got into trouble for laughing!! :(

Oh, and there was the morning milk to drink along with a choccy biscuit if you had a farthing to spare, the 'orrible school dinners and absolutely no sweets were allowed to be eaten during classes.

Also the fear of being slapped or hit by the teachers for doing wrong, the cane or the strap and even a slipper thrown in as well for punishment.

Strangely, looking back..........these were the best days to be had.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Some interesting reading there. Nigel I think the cinema you referred to was the ABC Metropole on Mansfield road. Close by was the Firs maternity hospital where I was born. The Saturday morning or afternoon cinema for me was the Forum on Aspley Lane. The films were usual preceded by having to sing ‘We Must Have Safety On The King’s Highway’(or was it Queen’s?) and after the films running home with our coats or Macs tied round necks as Flash Gordon! Dinner parties were unheard of as dad was just a self employed painter and decorator and mam was a cleaner, canteen worker or home help. However we never went hungry.
You mentioned Mr Lewis’s farm in Wales. It wouldn’t by any chance have been in Pembrokeshire would it? The reason I ask is that in about 1970 Mrs T and I had a holiday on a working farm at East Williamstone I think near Tenby where the food was all home made and superb. As it was haymaking time Mr Lewis appreciated a hand hoisting the bales onto his trailer and I would ride on top of them behind the tractor back to the barns. I still have some photos of that event somewhere.
Sorry to rabbit on but Graham’s and your postings brought back some almost forgotten memories! :thumbsup: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Nigel I think the cinema you referred to was the ABC Metropole on Mansfield road.
Yes, that was it. I used to go to Haydn Road Junior School and can still remember two of the teachers, one was a Mr Jackson and the other, Miss Rollingstone, good grief, she used to frighten the daylights out of me, very very strict and I once got slapped round the face by her when she thought I was not paying enough attention. Heck, just came to my mind. I remember this well now, we had ink pots in the desks and had to keep dipping the pen into the ink and when any teacher was writing on the black-board some-one usually tore up a piece of blotting paper screw it into a ball, dip it into the ink then use a ruler to aim and fire at any-one they wanted to. :lol:

I was born in Usk Monmouthshire and we lived in Panteg in the New Inn area, Mr Lewis's farm was not far from Panteg Church. Of course in the very early fifties my parents were not well off then, we had a small cottage and in fact I have just located the last picture of it taken by my father.
Click on picture for larger image.

The road running directly in front, left to right was the main Newport Road our home is the one in the centre just behind the telegraph pole, as you walked through the front door into the living room, to the right was where my sister and I slept, the window of our bedroom was at pavement height, my parents bedroom was up a half spiral staircase and just one room there (top window) I remember once I fell down the wooden stairs, painful experience. I could go on but don't wish to bore the pants off you chaps!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Miss Rollingstone, good grief, she used to frighten the daylights out of me, very very strict and I once got slapped round the face by her when she thought I was not paying enough attention.
Blimey Nigel, some men would pay good money for that sort of treatment today!
Haydn Road was the location of the Meridian clothing factory which I think was previously Hicking and Pentecost but I expect you know that.
My schooling was at the Player infant and junior schools at Bilborough followed by Bilborough Grammar school. The Player schools were renamed long ago because their full name was the John Player schools named after the cigarette and tobacco manufacturer which was a major employer in Nottingham. Perhaps the education authority thought it would encourage the kids to smoke. As the school catchment area was not affluent I reckon the kids would’ve gone for
Woodbines instead of Players anyway based on cost! :) EricT

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

The Player schools were renamed long ago because their full name was the John Player schools named after the cigarette and tobacco manufacturer which was a major employer in Nottingham. Perhaps the education authority thought it would encourage the kids to smoke. As the school catchment area was not affluent I reckon the kids would’ve gone for
Woodbines instead of Players anyway based on cost! :) EricT
I remember the John Player Factory well, I too used to buy 5 Woodbines that would last me the whole week-end, think my parents must have known I was smoking even though I was 15!! :lol:

I went to West Bridgeford High School after Haydn Road but was not my choice, my father wanted me to go there as he thought I might stand a chance of a better education than secondary school..............Wrong!!! :worried:

One of my friends at West Bridgeford School his father owned a number fairground rides and we both used to go down to Goose Fair when it came, always managed to get a few free rides on the waltzers, dodgems and a few others. Incidentally, I last saw John's father when he came to Lincoln for the September fair on South Common back in the seventies.

Regards
Nigel.

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Aw,stop it you two.
I first lived in New Basford ,attending Scotland Place junior and frequented the Futurist for mySaturday kicks. After we moved to West Bridgford and a dodgy 11plus pass I went to Becket School.
Them were the days !
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Ah yes the Futurist. I remember going to see Phsycho there with the future MrsT. Instead of walking her back home we were so scared that we rang my future father in law to come and pick us up! Not quite the knight in shining armour eh? :) ericT

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

My gran used to leave my pram (a real coach-built thing too, none of your folding new things) outside in all weathers, including rain and snow. I was also allowed to crawl round the front lawn and munch on anything that took my fancy, I was apparently fond of yellow flowers. Nobody thought these things strange at the time, it was what kids did. Getting mucky was part of growing up.

This was taken in either Winsford or Northwich, back when I had hair.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I have a similar photo to that taken wearing similar attire and riding a metal pedal car that was similar but slightly more rounded than yours. Mine was taken in '59 or '60 not too far from you in Newcastle-under-Lyme.
Larry