Which Version of MS2020 Would You Buy?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Which MS2020 will you buy?

Poll ended at 12 Aug 2020, 18:44

No purchase
11%
Standard
5%
De-Lux
3%
Premium
30%
Will Wait
43%
Will Not Purchase
8%

Total votes: 37

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Which Version of MS2020 Would You Buy?

Post by spatialpro »

TSR2 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 18:46
it will certainly be capable for running rotary wing stuff though
.... in the future it will, just not yet... at least that is my impression. Anything rotary needs a whole different flight model. Granted, the new MSFS will have physics-based [aerodynamic] flight models (like X-Plane), which helps, but just a couple of hours watching Austin Meyer talk about aerodynamics (esp. improving their helicopter aerodynamics) will convince you it is no walk in the park (despite X-Plane users already having raved for years about how representative the heli flight models are). MS have stated they don't want to rush and botch helicopter flight models... they believe it better to take their time and get it right. I tend to agree.

This (and VR) is a reason for me to keep flying in P3D and XP (and occassionally DCS) for quite a while yet...

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Definitely not going to be binning anything I already have, and I’ve enough disk space to add the new sim without having to buy more hardware. It’s unlikely I’ll be buying any more addons for P3D though.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Nigel,

Its already been offered out to 3rd parties to develop models for the Sim. It wont be ready day 1, but the infrastructure is already there. I also suspect (from what I've pieced together) that it might be done in such a way as it will be very difficult for someone to use someone else's model as the basis of their own work, which, if true, is to be welcomed..

I'm a little surprised they haven't included at least one helicopter... but that said, when you look at who they have partnered with to build the default models, I don't think any of them are prolific helicopter modellers. I think it will certainly be capable for running rotary wing stuff though.
Thanks Ben, it is high time that even those who develop their own aircraft are also protected.

I have never been much of a fan on helicopters, for me to actually fly one it has to be good and not the type to send me spinning into the ground as soon as I raise the collective lever. There is one that does please me and it is a free model of the Bell 429. I only like to use a helicopter to explore an airport or particular area and this one is ideal for that. But as far as a payware helicopter goes I would rather stick to fixed wing.
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... -bell-429/

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I didn’t fly them much either Nigel, but when Paul and the ODG guys did all of the rigs and FSPOs It was a different ball game. It’s a real challenge landing on a rig, and great fun. Similarly with DaveG’s ships. I’d love to do that again.

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Ben, Oh the shame of trying to land on an oil rig and failing big time!! :lol:

Going to have to have another go but not tonight, a few lagers and that's me finished!! :party:

Regards
Nigel.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I got the impression from the devs in their posts that not even these base aircraft and sceneries are 100% theirs. I think they are mostly theirs, but once the NDAs are fully released, I suspect we'll find that there is a lot of back-end and finishing on individual parts that's been done by well known developers.

Since the recent changes at the top of Microsoft and good experiences with 3rd party developers on several other titles and the history of the FS community working as collaborators as much as users with Lockheed and Laminar Dynamics has given Microsoft higher ups a level of confidence they can be open again with us on a higher level and let devs back in (something they got burned on in the past with other platforms and even with FS in more limited fashion).

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Completely agree Chris with their engagement with developers in general. If what is being suggested about inbuilt protection of models is true, it will help put an end to piracy or breach of copyright which has mired flightsims and made it incredibly difficult for smallish or niche developers to protect their work. If they can do this, I think they’ll get a lot of support from 3rd parties.

ImageImageImage

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Re the standard edition - I've also come to the conclusion that the standard edition is the current best fit for me. I'm not particularly interested in the additional aircraft on offer with the delux and premium editions and I suspect that non hand-crafted airports aren't exactly going to be a wasteland I think the money is better spent on targeted add on's, particularly aircraft. I have my fingers crossed for a relatively early introduction of some of our favourites such as the VC10, 1-11 etc.

The only thing that would change me mind is if future functionality was tied into specific editions.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Just a heads up that there is now Track IR support, although this must be configured outside the Sim.

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Not only Track IR but news just released that VR will also be incorporated but only for the HP Reverb G2 at present.

MS2020 appear to be moving very quickly to please their future customers.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/30/21346 ... oculus-htc

Regards
Nigel.