FSX and aircraft designed for FS2004.

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

paul26may
Lightning
Lightning

FSX and aircraft designed for FS2004.

Post by paul26may »

Before I buy FS2020 I would like to fly Dave Maltby's and other models in FSX. I have given up on ACOF despite the best efforts of numerous members of this forum. How easy is it and what should I be aware of?

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: FSX and aircraft designed for FS2004.

Post by Vc Ten »

David's 1-11 has been recompiled to native Fsx (with his permission) There's a much better prospect of it working in 2020 than the FS 9 version https://sites.google.com/site/fsxstuffb ... s/bac-1-11
Dale
Image Image Image

paul26may
Lightning
Lightning

Post by paul26may »

That's interesting. I'm only really interested in the old stuff so to be able to fly some classics in FS2020 will be fab, apart from the present day scenery of course. Can't have everything I suppose.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Just to be clear, at the moment there's no sure way that FSX aircraft will come into MSFS2020. From what I've read of the SDK, the MDL may work, but the .air file from FSX and earlier (which is all of the flight characteristics) will not work. There is definitely no way to drag and drop aircraft from FSX into FS2020.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

TSR2 wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 10:18
There is definitely no way to drag and drop aircraft from FSX into FS2020.
Hope I didn't give the impression there was Ben
I saw from the beta that the air file is not there anymore and the Aircraft config has become fragmented. Not sure if the new config files replace the air file or the flight dynamics are somewhere else
Interested to know what exactly is this "legacy mode"
What I was trying to put across, was native Fsx models with a separate interior mdl. were a step in the right direction to being compatible
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Dale,

It looks like the MDL file "may" be supported as the documentation says it has been deprecated, but I've been doing some experimenting today and haven't manage to get the packager to package an mdl file as part of a model. It could be me though.

The key thing is there is substantial work required to get anything legacy into the new sim, the model is only one part of it, and as the SDK hasn't been fully developed or documented, its impossible to say how things will go. The general consensus seems to be that if you are the original developer and have the original model files from 3DS Max (2016 or later) the model could be re-exported... however the flight dynamics will need completely re-done. Also the new format includes a way for developers to protect their models by encrypting them. This feature hasn't been fully documented yet either, so if you were investing loads of time in new or re-worked models, you'd probably want to wait until you could protect your model.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage