Some-one has used my card number.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Some-one has used my card number.

Post by Nigel H-J »

Got statement for my credit card and found that £227 was taken to pay company A Ferry.Ltd On searching I have found it is a ferry company booking site and I have never booked a ferry or even been on one apart from when at Dartmouth and that was cash payment.

My card has recently been changed to a new one and this transaction occurred before the new one was replaced which means that they will no longer be able to use it (my card numbers have also changed on the new card thankfully).

Now I am always very careful when using my card especially with on-line purchases and use my anti-virus which has Safe Pay (Bitdefender) and always print out any transactions I make and never allow any site to hold onto my credit card number. The only other transactions I have done on my card have been for KFC Food or the garden centre. I have never drawn money out using it at an ATM Machine either so my suspicions, and this is only a suspicion, is that my card details were probably hacked at KFC.

Have no proof that it is them but I have only dealt with well known national companies for purchases such as Amazon or Fight Simulation outlets such as Just Flight, Orbx etc.

After such a long explanation, will the credit card company believe me when I tell them that was not a transaction I had made and will they still make me pay it?

Never had anything like this happen before and I know card details are high on the list of fraudulent use therefore I have always taken precautions before using my card either on-line or at a store, especially when it is less than £30 and you just pay using the contact less method.

I am just so bl**dy angry. :rant:

Late Edit: Should I contact the company that took payment before contacting the card company to see if they can offer any help regarding this purchase (have date).

Regards
Nigel.
Last edited by Nigel H-J on 23 Aug 2020, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Re: Some-one has used my card number.

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Nigel

I would never use the card number for an online purchase other than through Paypal

if the seller doesn't accept Paypal i go to a seller that has.

Sorry not much help.

depends on your bank to weather they will reimburse you or not.
some will, some won't

Rick

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Many thanks Rick, will look into PayPal.

Regards
Nigel.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Nigel

Have used Paypal since 2003 and no issues.

before that i was ripped off three times online

not one of the ripped off purchases where anywhere near me.
and i once got a speeding fine from Glasgow (never been)

so you can't win (I had to pay speeding fine and take points for it even though photo was a Peugeot with the same plate as my Audi A4 !)

Thanks DVLA! :rant:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

so you can't win (I had to pay speeding fine and take points for it even though photo was a Peugeot with the same plate as my Audi A4 !)
Christ Rick, I would have fought that tooth and nail and if, for some reason , it was a fault of DVLA then your fine and penalty points should have been void.

After some forty years with the card company this is the first time I have ever been a victim of fraud, maybe Pay Pal is the answer but not of much use when at a fast food outlet which is very much at the top of my suspicious thoughts.

Regards
Nigel.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Contact the issuing bank Asap. Tell them you suspect fraudulent use. Let them deal with it
I hope you get it sorted quickly
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Been onto the card company and informed them, well my wife did, we will not have to pay the amount that was taken from the card and also they will now be investigating this transaction. hopefully, as it is a ferry booking their might be a registration number of a vehicle or other details that the ferry company can give so, for now, it is just a case of waiting to hear what the outcome is.

Many thanks Rick for your advice and thanks Dale.

Regards
Nigel.

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

Nigel, can you setup fraud alerts on your card? My bank allows me to do that so I get a text message or e-mail if there are charges over a specific amount.

--WH

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Sorry to hear that Nigel. So far I’ve not had that problem. I check my transactions frequently and never use a debit card online unless absolutely necessary. Glad to hear that you will be refunded. Hopefully your credit card company will get enough evidence to spoil the b@st@rds day! There’s just not enough deterrence to these sh**s. EricT
ps I still use cash as often as possible by drawing out at my bank maybe twice a month to reduce the need to use a card.
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi WarHorse, guess that is possible yes but this transaction was for £227, usually with credit card fraud the amount starts quite low and if no action has been taken on a lowly amount (anything from £10 to £30) then it is usually used again with a higher amount. We do have a limit put on the card anyway but will now sit this one out and await any developments.

When I was on C.C.T.V. I had watched a few videos taken by the day operators who had monitored scammers placing a card reader into ATM Machines. Thankfully the chaps on days were very good at sniffing these conmen out and they were not British Subjects either. :rant:
Hopefully your credit card company will get enough evidence to spoil the b@st@rds day!
Thanks Eric, exactly what I am thinking, I never use debit cards on-line it is always the credit card and that is paid off every month to avoid any interest charges, equally I only use it maybe 3 -4 times a month especially now with Covid 19.

Problem is that with fraud it is becoming high tech and the banks are losing millions through it, much better when it was all ash and cheques!

Regards
Nigel.