How Times Have Changed.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

How Times Have Changed.

Post by Nigel H-J »

Construction firm John Laing is featured in the BBC News Website Summer Holiday Photos.

Even without Covid 19 I doubt very much whether any firm would be so grateful to their workforce as to offer days away presently or in the future.

Sorry to be negative but ideas and thinking have changed dramatically over the years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53938491

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: How Times Have Changed.

Post by Airspeed »

Woohoo Nigel, that gave us something to remember by!
Mrs Airspeed was very interested in the clothes. :agree:
Your thoughts are right. A lot of people are only being paid what the government is dishing out as COVID 19 support, and when that stops, so will the jobs. Stories have been heard of some employees being paid, then the boss gets them to pay him a chunk in cash, or they'll get sacked. :OB:
btw, we heard today that ex-PM Tony Abbot is on a $300,000 pa pension. :-O :-#

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Nigel H-J wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 12:46

Sorry to be negative but ideas and thinking have changed dramatically over the years.

Regards
Nigel.
Modern life tends to make us negative. There was a time that the news always ended with a fun story or an amusing animal report. Now with 24/7 wall to wall coverage I find it is all negative and getting worse. I try to avoid TV altogether these days because it does bring you down.

Just to add to the negative, my wife's firm last year didn't even hold a Xmas do nor was there any bonuses. They are realtors and made oodles last year, just a bunch of scrooges. This year they jumped on the substantial government handouts for Covid to support not losing staff, but they still managed to cut her hours and drastically, but not so much as to render her able to claim the $2000 p/month Trudeau was chucking about like confetti. :rant:
Alex

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Alex, how can I best put this? On balance life today is just shite thanks to our so called superiors. Screw the lot of them.EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Airspeed wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 14:26

Your Tony Abbott, if you don't already know, is being offered a job by Boris Johnson to advise on trade deals after Brexit
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

fran65
Lightning
Lightning

Post by fran65 »

Vancouver wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 23:32
Modern life tends to make us negative. There was a time that the news always ended with a fun story or an amusing animal report. Now with 24/7 wall to wall coverage I find it is all negative and getting worse. I try to avoid TV altogether these days because it does bring you down.
Totally agree!!
We feel overwhelmed by this flood of negative news from all over the world.
But I am confident ... those people in the photos were smiling, yet many of them had seen a war, maybe two .... I think we will smile again, like in the beautiful photos that Nigel linked to us.
:cheers:
Francesco

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

simondix wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 07:31
Airspeed wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 14:26

Your Tony Abbott, if you don't already know, is being offered a job by Boris Johnson to advise on trade deals after Brexit
Yes, Simon, it was during mention of that, when the pension was also mentioned.
fran65 wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 08:18
Vancouver wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 23:32
Totally agree!!
We feel overwhelmed by this flood of negative news from all over the world.
But I am confident ... those people in the photos were smiling, yet many of them had seen a war, maybe two .... I think we will smile again, like in the beautiful photos that Nigel linked to us.
:cheers:
Very nice to hear from you again, Fran, especially in such a positive way! :thumbsup:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Also good to hear from you Fran, Italy has been having a tough time recently and I am sure that every-one here join me in wishing you well and keep safe. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

fran65
Lightning
Lightning

Post by fran65 »

Hi Nigel,
thank you! :)

We are not at the end of the story, but I hope the darker pages are behind us. I think we're all on the same boat.
Francesco