Connie flyers?

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Connie flyers?

Post by Airspeed »

Just read an article by a 747 pilot, who also flew the "Connie."
I was surprised at the degree of checks, careful engine controls and quirks of this aircraft.
I don't know just how realistic the FS models are, but are there any regular sim flyers out there, who actually handle the complexities of this aircraft?
Would love to know.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Connie flyers?

Post by Nigel H-J »

Mike, I have the A2A 'Captain of the Ship' Constellation for FSX and it did require careful handling of the engines, if not, then you were at risk of having to shut one down or catching fire!!! :wall: Sadly I do not run FSX anymore but I would say that the developers had done their homework prior to releasing it and is as good as you can get for a computer based simulation. You even get unexpected events providing they are checked.
Have a read on it here:

https://a2asimulations.com/product/capt ... ation-fsx/

I would highly imagine that if they were to re-do this classic for either X-plane 11 or MS2020 the handling would be far better than for FSX.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

A2a Connie is a fine aircraft, but a handful to fly by the book on your own. When I flew her in P3d I used the virtual engineer to look after most things, so I could manage the throttles, mixture and props. Must admit I generally navigated with the GPS. Just too much to do otherwise. Used to take some coaxing to cruise altitude if you wanted the engines to keep going. Really miss her in Msfs but miss most other aircraft too.
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Certainly right about flying the Connie Dale, found that the pitch used to really do my head in :wall: Even starting the engines was a real challenge!

Regards
Nigel.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Sounds like they made it quite realistic. :thumbsup: Thanks for the comments. ;)

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

I have the A2A Connie but I could never get to grips with it, can't recall the reason.

I can manage the A2A Stratofortress pretty much on my own, probably equally complicated, and as said above, navigation is best left to modern devices, although I do miss having a DME (tried to add one to the VC panel but I am rubbish with VCs).
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Another victim of the complexities, maybe, Adrian?

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Mike, Happy new Year to all .

Was your article by Reg Darwell ? If so , an amazing bloke who comes on our old car jaunts in the UK , and until recently was racing an MGB in Oz !

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Mike, just hunted down a review of the A2A Constellation for you to watch, the review is by Q8 Pilot who gives many honest reviews regarding Flight Simulations on all platforms. Well worth watching though it was done in 2017 in P3D it also applies to FSX.

Just watched the video and even though Q8 Pilot had said that he has only just read enough of the flight manual to do a quick flight I noticed that he had not used the RPM Lever to adjust the engine settings and also a bit surprised that he did not fry the engines in the process. From memory I think I set the RPM to 2,200 and kept the Manifold Pressure at 30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYCQMP1g5Oo

Regards
Nigel.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

I have freeware Jahn Connie models (there are many different Constellation models) that have realistic operations. The engines will fail and die in middle of flight if you do not handle those engines properly

The Jahn models are available for FSX and FS2004

Regards,

Aharon