Bitzer project

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Bitzer project

Post by Airspeed »

A new one for 3rd January, 3 extracts, use one, use them all, your choice. (no, that's not a clue!)

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Airspeed wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 03:18
Here it is, in all its *-) *-) entirety!
The Blackburn Blackburn:
That is one of the oddest looking bi-planes I think I have ever seen, and that it was actually used for 8 years is quite amazing.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

blanston12 wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 06:38
That is one of the oddest looking bi-planes I think I have ever seen, and that it was actually used for 8 years is quite amazing.
Hi Joe,
"Oddest" is the kindest description I have seen yet! :lol:

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I had Blackburn correct, but the wrong model. The echo clue actually led me to think echo sounder, which made me think sonar, submarines, torpedo bombers and so forth.

There's a play by Camoletti called Boeing-Boeing, but I can't recall another manufacturer which named a model after itself.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I said to Mike yesterday that’s exactly where I went with the Echo clue. And then when he said echo from the past I was thinking the version of the Dantorp that they tried with an inline engine, the Dantorp being a previous answer.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

When I was in the RAF I was stationed at Colerne on 511 Squadron. In 1958, we were told that we were being posted to 36 Squadron. When we asked where they were, and what aircraft they had, we were told RAF Colerne and Hastings. 511 was just renumbered!

36 Squadron were originally a torpedo bomber outfit flying the Vickers Wildebeest. The squadron badge, which had to replace ours, was a Sea Eagle carrying a torpedo. We also showed the City of Bath badge just under the flight deck, RAF Colerne having been awarded the freedom of the city.

511 Squadron was reformed at RAF Lyneham with the Bristol Britannia.

Sorry for going off topic, but thinking of torpedos sent my brain off at an angle. Torpedos filled with ham and mustard, but I wont go there!

:doh:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

First correct answer has arrived from AllanL :welldone:
That makes him the sole diamond recipient...."♪ diamonds on the soles ♫"....shut up Mike.
Gold is now where we're at.

"Boeing, Boeing" :lol: That was the first live stage show I ever attended. My more sophisticated friend from school organised the outing; must have been 1962 or thereabouts. Based on airline crew having lovers in different parts of the World, and circumstances had several simultaneously converge on one city. Mayhem as the "offender" tried to keep the characters apart. :lol:

Sorry about the echo confusing you, folks!

Den, don't apologise for telling us your story! That's the magic of Ben's Forum. I love it.

Now, for those struggling with "03-01", here's a shot of the nacelle front, which may help:

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Airspeed wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 03:08
Nothing to apologise for, Mike. For we fans of cryptic crosswords, it was a very helpful cross-check. Keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:
Pete

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

PeteP wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 07:47
Airspeed wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 03:08
Nothing to apologise for, Mike. For we fans of cryptic crosswords, it was a very helpful cross-check. Keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:
Pete
:lol: :thumbsup: I was apologising to those who don't do 'em, Pete. :agree:

:poke: So, where's YOUR answer to 03-01A to D, Pete? Put that newspaper down, or at least fold it into a thinking cap. :lol:

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Airspeed wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 11:33
:lol: :thumbsup: I was apologising to those who don't do 'em, Pete. :agree:
Goodness me, Mike - you mean there are such people? ;) :lol: Cracking a cryptic is one of life's great pleasures and a daily part of my morning routine. :thumbsup:
Airspeed wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 11:33
:poke: So, where's YOUR answer to 03-01A to D, Pete? Put that newspaper down, or at least fold it into a thinking cap. :lol:
Ah, well, I have to confess it had me beaten - no clue from you this time - so well done to AllanL for getting it. The new picture has helped but with the diamond award gone...

Pete