Only at Christmas.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Only at Christmas.

Post by 511Flyer »

Why do we only eat and drink certain things at Christmas even though they may be available all year round?

Mince pies. Pannetone. Stollen. Shortbread. Boxes of chocolates galore. Chocolate coated Brazil nuts, and nuts of all description. Dates. Figs. After Eight mints. Chocolate Liquers. Pickled Onions. Picalilli. Smoked Salmon. Pate. Stilton.

Port. Sherry. Baileys. Disaronno. Advocaat.

These are just some of the things that we always buy too much of, and there was only two of us here at Christmas this year. We have now packed all of what didn't eat, which is a lot, and are donating it to our local Care Home. Hopefully, the residents and staff haven't had too much of it also.

I'm sure that some of you can add to this list.

:)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Only at Christmas.

Post by Nigel H-J »

I'm sure that some of you can add to this list.
I'm not sure about that, but then again, I can only speak for ourselves regarding eating and drinking during certain festivities such as Christmas and Easter.

We don't!! :$

We did have a box of shortbread for Christmas as well as some After Eights oh, not to forget a bottle of Baileys but that was it. We don't see the point in going overboard just because it is Christmas, half the stuff you buy may never get to the dinner table and as for all the drinks and chocolate, not after my last two heart attacks. Babs wants me to be around for many years to come. :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Had Dove dark chocolates, and assorted nuts this Christmas...not too bad. Although I didn't get my traditional Egg Nog this year. Never got around to picking some up. :(

Brian

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Had a home made lasagne for Christmas lunch. Can't see the point of lashing out for turkey etc for the two of us. Family all over the world and even those in the UK are either too far off or - nowadays - in lockdown. Christmas is a family event otherwise it is just another Bank Holiday with rubbish TV.

For the first time in years we actually had a tree with lights etc. Santa did not call but then again, I haven't been that good so its to be expected.

No, we aren't miserable old gits, we just don't see the point in wasting money on ourselves when that money could be best spent by our out of work son and our grandson on his new house in Wales. We also give something to the postie and the refuse collectors to show our appreciation of how they make our lives that little bit easier and I also take a small gift of wine and beer to the workshop at our garage who always look after us well.

So that's our minimalist but still happy Christmas. :cheers:

Allan