Safety in the USA?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Safety in the USA?

Post by Airspeed »

Hi All, especially you Members in the USA.
Would anyone care to share their thoughts and observations on the local situation regarding the Presidential installation?
We've heard and seen stuff that appears to be cause for concern, but this is all long-distance; maybe it is overstated, maybe the opposite.
I certainly wish you all a safe time. It would be good to hear from some of you. Thanks.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Safety in the USA?

Post by FlyTexas »

Hi Mike. I'm happy to report that things are very peaceful here in my neck of the woods. If it weren't for the Covid pandemic you wouldn't know anything out of the ordinary was going on. I definitely saw a few (maybe three) Trump supporters in my neighborhood during the election process, but I haven't seen any problems since the election. Washington DC, of course, is a different story. I fully support my fellow citizen's right to *peacefully* protest against their government, but what I saw recently in the news was totally unacceptable. Fortunately those unlawful acts were carried out by the few, not the many.

Brian

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Over here in the UK it has been reported that Boris Johnson is very pleased that Trump did not get re-elected and is looking forward to dealing with Joe Biden.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Hope all goes well and peacefully with tomorrows inauguration.
President elect Biden mentions his’Irishness’ sometimes which is always popular in the US but an interesting article in The Times last Saturday by Ben Macintyre mentions Mr Biden’s great-great-great-great grandfather Christopher and his brother William from Derbyshire who both joined East India Company,an important part of the British Empire.Although William died in Rangoon Christopher gained a reputation for charitable work in India but was killed during the Indian rebellion of 1852. An interesting ancestry which may hopefully help towards a closer relationship between the UK and US. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

I believe Mandy Rice-Davies had a phrase for the sudden change of view of our Poundland Trump!

But then U-turns are the Boris trademark de jour. Perhaps he would have a better idea of how many children he has if he made some of them earlier. :worried:

Hopefully tomorrow goes off without drama and the US can get to grips with the pandemic regardless of political persuasion.

Veering off at a tangent, I and SWMBO have both had text messages saying "We DO NOT have the vaccine...." and in summary stop bugging us until we get in touch.

Nippy Sweetie's halo slipping a bit, still we have Janey Godley on Youtube to put the Covid message straight. Not to be watched if you are of a nervous disposition. She used to run a pub in the Calton area of Glasgow.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

I live 20 miles west of Washington D.C. Quiet out here but D.C. is a different story. Like a war zone with 25,000 National Guard troops, Secret Service, FBI, Capitol Police, DC Police and Park Police all to insure a safe inauguration. So much for the peaceful transfer of power that America likes to tout. At least by this time tomorrow, we will be rid of the worst president in U.S. history!

Nigel²

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

I do not get involved in politics generally, but perhaps someone can explain to me why the USA has replaced an out and out lunatic with a pathetic old man ?

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

My sister, niece, and younger daughter - all with their respective spouses and children - live in the USA. They, and just about everyone they know, are glad to see the back end of that lying, vulgar, infantile oaf. I'm sure all will go well tomorrow - maybe a few overweight 'well-regulated militia' members will be spotted, yapping and posturing in their surplus-store military paraphernalia ( God will those buggers effing GROW UP! ) but that'll be all.

It will be a relief to see a grown adult back at the helm. Have a great day over there. :thumbsup:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

It is curious how US leaders are very much in their latter years. A friend of mine in the US tried to explain that they are all career politicians and as such it takes forever and lots of money to get to the point where they are even in the running for president. As such it’s virtually impossible for someone in their 40’s for example to run let alone win a presidential election. Not sure how true that is, but all off the candidates last year (before they finalised on JB) where well into their 70’s.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Paul K wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 23:22
It will be a relief to see a grown adult back at the helm...
True, but I'm going to miss the balloon. :lol:

Brian