Completely off-topic TV/Iplayer recommendation

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Completely off-topic TV/Iplayer recommendation

Post by Paul K »

Nowt to do with aviation , but may I recommend Dr. Lucy Worsley, currently on BBC Iplayer with a number of documentaries. I've been watching one of her series, called 'British History's Biggest Fibs' which deals with the Wars of the Roses, the Glorious Revolution, and British rule in India. informative and often surprising - a lot of my preconceptions received a severe jolt. Not only that, but she rather enjoys dressing up in period costume when emphasising an important point.

Also, she's doing a program tomorrow night which deals with the experiences of six people during the Blitz :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000sm7s

So, if you have a spare hour or so, give her a try. She is a much better television historian than Dan Snow, and I will admit she is quite pleasing to the eye. ;)

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Completely off-topic TV/Iplayer recommendation

Post by 511Flyer »

Love Lucy Worsley. Cheeky grin and sassy behaviour belies her position as curator of Historic Royal Palaces. Makes boring interesting and enjoyable.

:welldone:

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

She's great. :) I watched a few episodes of her series 'Royal Myths & Secrets'. I love the way she inserts herself into various scenes dressed in time period clothes. :thumbsup: Thanks for the heads-up, Paul.

Brian

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Definitely one of the best presenters on British tv. She obviously enjoys her subject. :lol: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

When I get control of the remote (sometime after 10:30) it's over to BBC4. With a bit of luck it's either Lucy, Alice Roberts or Janina Ramirez :agree:
Dale
Image Image Image

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Let’s not forget the gorgeous Suzannah Lipscomb. Beautiful and brainy. :agree: EricT

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I watched the programme, but not much of Lucy in there. Interesting stories about government censoring. I wasn't aware that tube stations were locked to prevent people from seeking shelter. It wasn't until the gates were broken down by desperate people that they relented.

The poorer people were not purposely targeted. They hammered the docks, and that's where most of the poorer people lived and worked.

We lived about 20 miles from London, and I remember my Mum holding me in her arms as we watched the glow from the fires in the night sky. We also spent many nights in the shelter as the bombers targeted Vickers just a few miles away. However it was a daytime raid that did the most damage.

It brought back so many memories, but I wont bore you with any more of them.

Den.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

We watched about 40 minutes of it and then gave up . The docudrama format is always a turnoff, but when we reached the stage of each of the 6 characters uttering one sentence at a time in rotation it became intolerable. And the sloppy production was exemplified by the fact that the " German " bombers appeared to be Lancasters or , just possibly - it was a fleeting glimpse - Halifaxes . It was a shame because it might have been an interesting programme

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

I tend to agree with you Chris for the same reasons. We managed to watch it for about an hour before giving up.
May I point out that at in ten minutes from now on BBC4 the lovely Suzannah Lipscomb will be presenting a programme about hidden killers in Tudor homes and Lucy Worsley is on at 22.30 on fireworks for a Tudor queen. :) EricT

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Got to agree with the dramatization - it didn't work, and rarely does anyway. It would have been far better if the 6 actors involved had merely read extracts from the relevant diaries and notes. There's far too much of that these days - directors and producers can't seem to accept that the audience can think for themselves, and come to their own conclusions. We don't need to be cued or prompted, in ways such as "sad music now, so be sad" and an actor pretending to cry over what was a real-life tragedy. Lots of interesting stuff in it, however, so I'm glad I watched it.